Hello from Vienna/Austria

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerhardvienna

Gerhardvienna
Reaction score
Hi to all here in this great forum! After a while of just reading (Oh god; I`m not finished yet! :wall:) I must invite myself in here. I`m a 58year young guy from Vienna/Austria, model building since my early youth days, and now planning to build a inline 4-cylinder 4 stroke engine. This will be used in a 1:6-Model of a Saurer RR7 track and wheel vehicle, which was used from the Austrian Heer and later from the Wehrmacht in WW2. The plan for the car is under constuction now, I`m almost finished with it, and it is based on original drawings from Saurer. Pics of the original Vehicle and the reconstruction will be shown in a build thread. The engine will also be constucted by me, it will be similar to the Westbury Seal Engine.
Regards from Vienna
Gerhard

Hi Swifty & Kadora
Thanks for your welcome, building thread will come soon! I`m just studying, wherein to post this, because it`s not only the engine but the whole vehicle. I cannot show the engine only, there must be the complete car. Here is one first pic, just to let you know what I`m talking about.
This is the version of the Saurer RR7 I prefer to build, it shows most of the technical parts.
001 Abschleppwagen RK7 2.jpg
Regards
Gerhard

Gerhard, I think the project is going to be outstanding. The vehicle was a very interesting bit of engineering. I went to Google and found several different photos. I am sure you have seen these and many more.

Thanks for joining the forum, I/we will be happy to help if needed and look forward to your project.

Welcome!

Very interesting vehicle Gerhard, you can post your build as you go in "a work in progress" forum. I have a friend who made a tracked remote control model, but used a small 2 stroke motor to run it.

Paul.

Very interesting vehicle Gerhard, you can post your build as you go in "a work in progress" forum. I have a friend who made a tracked remote control model, but used a small 2 stroke motor to run it.
Paul.

Hi Paul & Silvergoose
I found this "Car" by reading one of my father`s book, he was a head engineer at Saurer-Wien until his retirement and wrote them after retirement. http://www.oldtimer-reisen.at/saurer-buecher.html
More about that will be posted at the build thread. My plan is to reconstruct the whole thing, there are no plans left after WW2, just one really small copy of a measured overview drawing and a lot of photos.
The building thread will start the next few days,
Regards
Gerhard

The engine will also be constucted by me, it will be similar to the Westbury Seal Engine. - Gerhard

Fascinating & unique project. Looks like the original engine was a diesel. Are you planning to replicate the overall engine layout & assembly but opt for more typical gasoline carburation, ignition etc.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_254

Fascinating & unique project. Looks like the original engine was a diesel. Are you planning to replicate the overall engine layout & assembly but opt for more typical gasoline carburation, ignition etc.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_254

Hi @All
Building thread is online now.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?p=268140#post268140

Hello @ petertha
The engine layout will be close to the original diesel engine, 4Cyl, 4cycle but glow fuel engine, bore will be 18mm and stroke 22mm. Carb will come from an older P.H. 120 model 4stroke motor, it is the first part I do have "in stock" at the moment:D In accordance to the westbury seal the Saurer engine will have the cam located beneath the crankshaft, but the vents will be driven by pushrods, very similar to Harley-Motors. More about this and all the other technical stuff will come in the build thread.

Hello @ kadora
Very interesting site, just had a short look at it! I have another project "at work" the Sturmtiger, also in 1:6 scale.........

Regards
Gerhard

Hello @ petertha The engine layout will be close to the original diesel engine, 4Cyl, 4cycle but glow fuel engine, bore will be 18mm and stroke 22mm. Gerhard

That's kind of what I was wondering. Glow fuel will side-step some ignition & distributer complexities & I guess they are 'kind-of-diesely' just without injectors etc. Not sure if you are aware, but potential reference methanol engine plans are available. Not necessarily in-line-4 but different variations of in-line, boxer & vee if that's helpful (all glow & somewhat similar displacement).

http://www.cad-jung-shop.de/epages/...729/Categories/Baupläne/Bauplane_Modellmotore

One issue that seems to come up regularly with particularly glow engines in vehicle type (semi enclosed) installations is much more substantial cooling requirements that their aircraft counterparts. I guess either liquid/radiator or fans & heat sink heads start coming up for consideration.

Anyway good luck & look forward to seeing your engine design come alive.

Hi petertha
The Jung-Shop is well known, but they dont have any engine, that will fit to the original measures. As I wrote above, I plan to build the "Kranwagen", so I need an engine that looks like the original one. I will use one of the Jung-plans for my other project, the german Sturmtiger, also in 1:6 scale. For more about the Saurer-Engine see my build thread, there will be mor infos about it.
Regards
Gerhard

Sorry if you misunderstood my post. I recognize CAD-Jung doesn't offer an appropriate match to your particular application. As mentioned, it was more-so for 'design reference'.... as in... even a perfectly reduced scale rendition of the full-size engine likely won't yield appropriate real world running conditions for methanol glow in terms of different compression ratio, I/O timing, valve size etc. So the point was existing glow engine design examples might be helpful. But sounds like you are fully aware & well versed in all this. Look forward to your design & running engine!

I understood it just that way:D
Jung was one of the first sites I looked for a good engine for the Saurer. I have been working as a motorcycle mechanic for years, and constructed even other motors in different layouts, I learned that from my father, but never built one before. So this will be the first fuel engine coming out from my "shop" hopefully this will work at first attempt.
Regards
Gerhard

Latest posts

Back