Hello from N.E. Penn.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artofpa

Reaction score
I have decided to jump in feet first.
I just sold my Glock so I can buy my first lathe.
I took three years of machine shop in high school
My senior project (1976) was using a NC Mill to write the schools name in a aluminum ashtray, can you see a ashtray project today.
Used a typewriter to punch holes in a paper ribbon, that feed the mill the info.
anyway
I have been looking at the Sherline Lathe
So anyone with a idea for a fellow starting to machine after 37 years, please post them here.

ArtofPa

Hi ArtofPA,
What's an ashtray:confused: Hey, just kidding. I still remember those things.

Anyway, one good place to start is building an air operated engine. You can find lots of plans here:

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

I would avoid Stirling or flamelicker engines to start out since they have quite demanding tolerances to run properly. I started with a Stirling and had lots of frustrations with it, though I learned a lot.

Have fun

Phil from SE PA

Tin
Read - all your links thanks- I am working with a small budget $800, the Sherline product allows me to convert the lathe to a mill, that would take projests further. There is one on ebay at the momment but it has a dayton motor, that scares me, but the auction has the mill attachment.
What to do
What to do

Philjoe
Thanks for the advice, I wish I was close enough to start looking at plans, need the shop first.

Aussiejimg
Thanks

Why scared by a dayton motor. I always considered them a good indusrial grade brand. Certainly better than Harbor freight Chicago electric.
Tin

Not the motor I am scared of -- its the adoptation to the lathe that scares me.
I emailed the auction, he says its in good shape, the controller and motor are not sherline, doesn't know if its the stock motor mount
I'll be watching it till 11.30 when it ends.
Wish me luck.

I know the price of a new dayton motor is pretty scary.

Tin

Welcome to the forum from another resident of NE PA.

Regards.

Steve.

Steve
Welcom to HMEM. The Sherline tools are first rate. That's what I started with and, because of their reputation, if you do decide to go bigger, you can generally get a pretty good chunk of the money back.

SE PA here. We expect to see you with an engine or two at Cabin Fever in April.

After a long wait my first lathe is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and I already made some chips.

IMG_20131025_212434_zps109831c9.jpg

and here is what I did waiting for it
IMG_20131025_212216_zpsa813999e.jpg

Now I have to pick a new project.

Latest posts

Back