Hello from afghanistan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sargent,

Well you could make yourself an indexing head.....

That is not as far fetched as it would appear, and you would have a "bit of kit" as my Aussie friends put it for when you need it....

You need some steel, and a suitable gear...like a 60 tooth spur gear would be useful for 2,3,4,5,6,10,12,15,20,30,60. This could be done with just a pin with a suitable point on the end. The bearing for the spindle need not be at all sophisticated as it doesn't spin with any speed. Steel on steel would work fine as long as it's well lubricated. Got any scrap gearboxes/?

Dave

Hey Sarge,
I can tell you have the "hots" for that elbow engine. I didn't mean to put you off on it in our conversation. Yes, there will be a lot of "fine tuning" to get it to run but all these engines require that. Some more than others! Remember......If you build it.....it will run Thm:

Tony

PS Your making me think about dragging the plans out for it now! A very unique engine

Sgt
if your mill has a DRO you can just plug in the coordinates. Bolt circle pattern coordinators are published in the machinery's handbook. There are also computer utilities to do the calculations and you can always do the trig.
The late Hamilton(Dick )Upshure has several sets of plans that may be of interest to you the plans are $ 10.00 per set plus $3.00 shipping
of particular interest A thirty-nine sheet drawing set covering four farm type engines, two horizontal, two vertical, water cooled or air cooled with optional hit and miss governor. Bore .750, stroke 1.000, flywheels 3.5 diameter.
For more info
http://hamiltonupshur.tripod.com/
Tin

The Edwards radial 5 is probably the best non casting engine I have...I don't have any others non-casting ones...though...if your ambitious, you could make castings out of "hogments"

Dave

Whel we have almost all of our equipment on ground, and the machinist work area is getting set up as we speek. I have been reviewing the plans for the elbow engine and want to make some changes. I would first like to make the pistons 1" and add 2 more is there anything i need to do to make it a v-10 insteed of a v-6?
and this is off the subject but is the anyone out there that knows how to engrave steel? I build a lot of hand tools out of nessitey, and would like to engrave my name into them. We have stamps but it looks kinda "ghetto" Is there any good books or starter sets on the market? I know it takes years to be any good but I would just like to learn to do my name.
Thanks SGT Hobart

Hi Sarge and a big welcome to you. I was in Daharan, SA in the early 80s.

Kenny

http://www.contenti.com/products/engraving-tools.html
This place has hand engraving tools at what appear to be decent prices .
A bout a buck US for handles and $ 5.50 for carbon steel gravers and $8.20 for HSS.
Now since you said you time and skill encohttp://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK32?PARTPG=INSRAR2 has m-2 tool steel bits 1/8 x 1/8 x 2 1/2 inch (Import brand ) For 80 cents a piece so a couple of boxes of these should get you going BTW otto fei jewelers supply sells graver blanks for 4 bucks a piece these are you guessed it 1/8 x 1/8 x 2 1/2 inch HSS blanks
Tin

Back