Hello from afghanistan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt_hobart

Reaction score
Hi, My name is SGT Hobart. I am stationed in alaska but currently stationed in Afghanistan, I am a 44E (machinist) in the ARMY. I ran across your website when i was out looking for some plans to build a small project. my tools are limited but my skills and time are not. we have a 14x40 lathe, bridgeport 2J, bandsaw,and a torchmate, and all the little hand tools that come along with that equipment. I will be stationed hear for no less then one year, so i have time on my hands and steel on my rack. I am looking for a project that does not require any ID or OD grinding, heat treating (past water or oil quenching), or require any "high $$" parts. If you think you can help me out just drop me a line.

Thanks SGT Hobart

Mr. Hobart,

I'll be glad to oblige you sir just as soon as I get home this evening. Is your Yahoo account acceptable?

On a personal note, Thank you for what you do! :bow:

Dave

Hi Sgt,

Here's a link that should still be good to .zip files for all of Elmer's Engines which you will find referenced often on this forum. Somewhere among the 40+ engines hopefully there is something to your liking. As long as you can unzip and print them you can have instant access to them.

I add my thanks as well for your service. Stay safe and keep us posted.

http://www.davehylands.com/Misc/Elmers-Engines/

Regards,
Bill

If you want something a bit more elaborate than Elmer's engines, take a look at what Jerry Howell http://www.jerry-howell.com/ has to offer. You'd have to order the plans, but they are fairly inexpensive.

sgt_hobart said:
Hi, My name is SGT Hobart. I am stationed in alaska but currently stationed in Afghanistan, I am a 44E (machinist) in the ARMY. I ran across your website when i was out looking for some plans to build a small project. my tools are limited but my skills and time are not. we have a 14x40 lathe, bridgeport 2J, bandsaw,and a torchmate, and all the little hand tools that come along with that equipment. I will be stationed hear for no less then one year, so i have time on my hands and steel on my rack. I am looking for a project that does not require any ID or OD grinding, heat treating (past water or oil quenching), or require any "high $$" parts. If you think you can help me out just drop me a line.

Thanks SGT Hobart

Also an early 70's Army vet, can appreciate the need to find something to cut the boredom other than 101 things to do with C4.

Elmers plans, no big $$ involved, time (you got) sunshine (got that too) hmm a solar powered steamer . . .

Robert

SGT Hobart,

Welcome to the board and first and foremost, thank you for what you do.

Bob

Welcome 'Sarge', You have found/come to the right place for both entertainment as well as an educational opportunity of a lifetime. :big: Any one of the Elmer's engines would be goodly candidates for passing your time away while you are not standing guard duty or on KP. Rof}
If you have the time, machines, and materials (which it sounds like you do) then have at it. Thank you and your mates for all of their personal sacrifices for their often unappreciated jobs that they perform. I salute you soldier.

BC1
Jim

Hello and welcome SGT Hobart !!
Cheers
Paolo

Sarge,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

U.S. Army 1964 to 1970 here.

Welcome aboard Sarge. wEc1 Great bunch of guys here.

They will help in any way possible. Thanks for all you are doing over there. Thm: Thm:

Seems like there are people on here that could build almost anything and repair everything except the crack of dawn and a broken heart. :big: :big:

Ron

Sarge, Hello from Missouri.

My Son a Marine sergeant just got back from Iraq, safe and sound and now I extend those prayers to you.

Thank you for your sacrifice, be safe, bring back a wonderful project, and tell your children all about it...

Carry On...

Chuck M.

Hi Sgt,

you might opt for my rather particular and almost exclusive taste for model firearms of all kinds. Have never followed any plans but made my own. I forgot to metion that they are all firing (down to 2mm cal.).

George

Sgt Hobart,
Welcome.
And thank you for you service :bow:
You guys (and gals) are appreciated back home.

Sgt Hobart: Are you looking for a particular kind of project? There are a fair amount of tools built by the folks here as well.
tin

First of all I would like to thank all the people for there supportive comments, I stumbled upon the HMEM looking for plans to build a elbow engine, or other small projects. The problem i am ruining into is many of the projects require a super-spacer,indexing head or rotary table. witch i do not have. plus cast iron in the army is very hard to come across in its raw form(IE. bar or plate.) I am aware i can sub many metals with steel or brass. so that might solve that problem. And not to degrade army training but many of the projects are a little out of my league. I had some plans of the elbow engine emailed to me that look very promising. but my dream would be building a 4 cycle gas engine(maybe a hit-n-miss) but something that does not require any spendy$$ castings. let me know what you think, SGT, H

Latest posts

Back