Hardware Store IC Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original Henry Ford Engine comes to mind to answer your question Terry. It was made from iron pipe fittings mounted to a wooden board as a frame. I am not sure one could purchase pieces for the flywheel, but the rest could very well be purchased at a good "hardware store" Of course the access to machine tools would be required. Not a deal breaker, but it would sure take a while to do a cylinder bore without such things. Be creative, anything can be done with a good plan and enough time.

Bearcar1
Jim

Try searching using with: github internal combustion

That produced a Goolge response page with a substantial number of internal combustion projects. For instance: cbmurphy/EngineModel.

You will have to look through these to determine "hardware store" materials. But do not forget your local scrap metal/ salvage yard.

The original Henry Ford Engine comes to mind to answer your question Terry. It was made from iron pipe fittings mounted to a wooden board as a frame. I am not sure one could purchase pieces for the flywheel, but the rest could very well be purchased at a good "hardware store" Of course the access to machine tools would be required. Not a deal breaker, but it would sure take a while to do a cylinder bore without such things. Be creative, anything can be done with a good plan and enough time.

Bearcar1
Jim
I used a 14” diameter valve handwheel for the flywheel on my Henry Ford engine and it works great. I had to purchase a chunk of grey iron from a metal supply house to make the piston, a largish drip oiler from the internet, but the rest was from my scrap box, and hardware and auto parts stores. I even made the points contact from a flattened .223 casing!

B9051410-C01C-40A9-BB9D-C4875A7CF324.jpeg

BTW, Mr. Leon Ridenour sells plans snd includes a DVD, some piston rings, and screens for the “carburetor”. He’s also very helpful and responds very quickly to answer any questions you may have.

Not just an IC engine from store part bits, but other bits and pieces.

Unfortunately, it's in German!

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Wow! Some type of rotary valve system and it’s take a bunch of calculating/cogitating to get that timing right. Or at least a hell of a lot of trial and error!

Now THAT’S some back porch engineering. I sure wish I spoke/read German so I could understand it better!

Thanks for sharing,
John W

Now that is very creative, and the hall sensor ignition is a nice touch. The hypodermic needle drip (I guess) carburetor seems to work well. I wonder how much tinkering it took to get it to run and it seems to run well.

The description on YouTube translates to:

After two years of construction and a few more combustion engines, I modernized my first engine with my experience and new knowledge.
Now the good piece runs with alcohol and, if need be, on the living room table. The part is easy to reproduce, except for one downer, unfortunately it has to be soldered a little hard.
I've done some work and put some text into the videos, if you want to read it, just stop.

Last edited:
Now that is very creative, and the hall sensor ignition is a nice touch. The hypodermic needle drip (I guess) carburetor seems to work well. I wonder how much tinkering it took to get it to run and it seems to run well.

The description on YouTube translates to:

After two years of construction and a few more combustion engines, I modernized my first engine with my experience and new knowledge.
Now the good piece runs with alcohol and, if need be, on the living room table. The part is easy to reproduce, except for one downer, unfortunately it has to be soldered a little hard.
I've done some work and put some text into the videos, if you want to read it, just stop.
Thanks for the translation, I’d love to read his explanations within the video. Perhaps I’ll try and copy them down and run them through a translator.

thanks again!
John W

Latest posts

Back