Gunsmith Stuck Live Cartridge Tool.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockstocknbarrel

Reaction score
Hi again Fellow Gun-Plumbers,
Sorry if these posts are suck eggs stuff, again this collet set-up could be used for other applications.
I wont go into how a cartridge gets stuck in a breach.......................
Some 12-15 years ago I built these collets, after using the age old method of half filling a centre-fire rifle barrel with heavy oil and cutting leather patches to suit the calibre and pound these down the barrel on top of the oil from the mussle end obviously, this hydraulics the live round out of the breach.
We old Arthur and myself had much success with this method, until one day in came a .270 rifle with a very stuck case.
We both had a go at this problem but pound as much as we could using the above method it would not release, time for a coffee.............we came back to said problem, and put more pressure on the leather plugs.
Then the loudest bang that both of us have ever heard indoors...............Out came the live round fully intact hitting the wall over the outer side of the workshop, if either of us had been standing at the breach end we believe the cartridge at that velocity could have been fatal.
Some days later I sat down and designed these collet tools, they are to suit .222 to .30 Cal with a closing collar tube they attach to a slide hammer (which I cannot find at present).
No that is not rust it is the cloth that I cover these puppies up with.......................
I hope this story keeps somebody safe in the future, and prompt you to build this tool.
Man it has made me some money over the years.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Stuck-Cartridge-Tool-#1.jpg

Stuck-Cartridge-Tool-#2.jpg

Stuck-Cartridge-Tool-#3.jpg

Stuck-Cartridge-Tool-#4.jpg

Latest posts

Back