Going for broke!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip85

Reaction score
After many hours of drooling over everone elses projects I've decided to have a go at building a 5 cylinder radial engine of my own design, this will be my first engine although I'm not new to machining I'm sure its going to be a challenge. Any hints and tips would be appreciated. If it works and looks good ill post photos and plans. Well here goes!!

That's an ambitions first project woodchip :eek: ................... good luck, ................. how about posting a thread with your progress, if you come across any snags there are plenty of talented folk on here who would be willing to help.

CC

woodchip85,

Great stuff, a design and build; and Good Machining to you.

Best Regards
Bob

Are you going to be copying any particular model engine or full sized engine? About what size are you thinking of building, bore, stroke, overall size? Having never built a radial I can't offer any tips as to what to look out for but I'm sure there are some here who can. The basics of internal combustion engines apply to every type it's just the executions that change. I do know that the cam is a circular design as opposed to a shaft and the engine has a master rod with satelite rods attached to it. Good luck on your endeavor, we'll be watching.
gbritnell

My winter project is going to be the Liney Halo engine, a 5-cylinder radial that runs on air but looks like an IC engine. I'll be following Bogstandard over on madmodder.net if I get in trouble. :eek:

I am getting a rotab this week, which will be a necessity.

You could buy the plans for the Halo and compare it with your design for any obvious flaws. As George said, there is a master cylinder and rod and 4 slaves. The valves are operated with rocker arms driven by cams. It will be a challenge for me, that's for sure.

Well, here's the first drawings, I'm working on putting the crank and pistons into a assembly, ill post them when I'm finished. Ive run into design block when Ive got the type and design of the valves and linkages, i have a few ideas that I'm working on but any input would be greatly appreciated.

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

Looking good. This will be interesting.

There's been a few posts lately about drawing tools. What are you using?

Ive been using the 30 day trial of Alibre Design, its been a while since Ive done any CAD work and Ive found Alibre is very user friendly, unlike some of the other cad system Ive used. Theres a few posts on here about Alibre (Kermit has one running now -Took the plunge- ) if anyone feels like a look ill try find the link to the trial as well and post it.

Latest posts

Back