Gerry's Beam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don-tucker

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Here we go again,the start of another beam engine,made good use of my little miller on this one so far and not a CNC in sight.
Beam1.jpg

Don

Looks good, Don. You obviously don't require automation.
I like my manual machines, too. Just a born crank turner, I guess.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted.

Dean

I agree, beam engines have a special fascination and it looks like you are off to a great start don !!

Bill

I may build a beam engine next. I sure like the looks of the frame you've started there!

Did you get the plans from John-Tom's site? I heard there was a page missing, did that get resolved?

-trout

Yes that is correct,there is one page missing from Gerry's beam engine but complete in Oldboatguys version,there are 19 pages in all.There is not much info on the frames I had to scale it up from the PC for some reason I could not print a 135% zoomed page,you guys would have had a giggle if you had seem me with a pair of dividers on the screen. ;D
Beam engines are fasinating and make a change.
Don't get me wrong ,I admire the CNC boys ,it is a special skill, I know I have a laugh with Kvom about it but wish I knew more on the subject,bit long in the tooth now.Even started to build a CNC router once but bottled out.
Don

Beam2.jpg

Bit more done

Its looking great so far Don. Are you building it to the original size or larger. It looks larger in the pics but often its hard to tell.

Bill

No Bill it is the original size,I hope to make some mods as I go along,mainly the cylinder.
Don

Very nicely done,

One quick question,
with so many angles to cut, did you clamp it to a rotary table?

Very nice, Don. Looks great!
Good job on all that milling work.

Dean

Thanks for the comments Guys,I didn't use a rotery table,Drilled all the corner holes first then clamped the frames to the mill bed on a couple of parallels and ran one tooth of a slot drill along the scribed line ,I then took .030" deep cuts away from the line to the full depth and full cuts to the line.I cut all the edges that were parallel with each other to make life easier.
I was supprised how easy it was ,another plus mark for the X2.
Hope that helps,I'm not very good at explaining things .
Don

You explained it real well.

Thanks.

Here is how i machined the "bling" as Gerry puts it.
Beam4.jpg

Beam3.jpg

Very nice work Don! Have you or any of you other builders drawn out the details of the side frames? That would be a big help to people like me who don't feel up to the challenge of figuring it out on our own ;)

Peter

pmerritt said:
Very nice work Don! Have you or any of you other builders drawn out the details of the side frames? That would be a big help to people like me who don't feel up to the challenge of figuring it out on our own ;)

Peter
Tell you how i did it Peter,I enlarged the drawing of the frame till it was full size and scaled the missing dimensions from the screen as I couldn't figure how to print out the page,those sizes were not important except to be in proportion.
Don

A bit more done,I shall concentrate on the crank and bearings next.
Beam6.jpg

Don

Back