G'Day from Sydney

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Testing went well Bill. The engine screams. I had to add a 12 though shim to stop detonation (fairly advanced timing). The carb works well and is pleasant to adjust. Dang this engine howls on the pipe :)

A Welcome from England

When your "first one" actually turns over, starts, and runs, after all the work it's very special !

My first steam turbine was the same, we put it on air and it sort of went round (just)

But on Steam, not much, (only about 10 P.S.I if that !)
it gurgled and spat water at us for about 30 Seconds till it warmed up.and cleared the condensate
Then it wound itself up to 40,000 R.P.M (possibly more) and scared us ****less

sounds like your little I.C. has similar ideas
what R.P.M. ? are you getting and what exhaust ?
It seems like you are using a tuned exhaust which would explain the pinking
I would love to hear when she "comes on the pipe"

Welcome Chris, there are a few of us around this neck of the woods (well...close enough anyway)

Jim

ops engines are know for spinning the main bearing on the con rods when they are pushed hard, they also had a rollered rod you maybe able to still get one,im not sure if there is a current ops engine agent in aussie but was in Sydney x-cell products . mantuau or the similar wording , in the uk are the ops manufacture. they are on the web also. I run a few .45 s and also the hydro 90's big black block engines and a brand new 67 super waiting for commission.

good luck with your project.

I noticed the squish area looks to me rather large and also the combustion bowl volume to me looks small, can you elaborate on the fuel you will be using nitro% or a 4:-1 mix??????

Thanks Skyline :) Well, it's not a complete motor - just parts that I'm gradually replacing. It's more of a learning exercise than anything at this point - so that I can eventually build my own from scratch.

Jim - cheers, and thanks for the welcome! :)

Wayne - cheers. The problem with OPS... is getting anything at all in the way of parts. Most suppliers have now dried up. Yes, I have heard of the roller bearinged con rod (and quite a number of people who've had the OEM part fail on them), but have never myself had a rod or big end fail since running OPS in both marine and pylon since the very early 80's. I've run 40SPP's and 60 gold heads for decades. I've had a very good run so far. I never use nitro, and have run standard FAI fuel (4:1 methanol/castor mix.) for decades. Tether car comp rules state FAI reference. The squish band and combustion chamber dimensions are identical to the original marine head that came off the engine. Swept volume is also identical. :)

you know your way around them so your aware of those factors, yes brian mc kellar in Sydney was the man for engines and parts, maybe if luck has it someone may do it again at some point if were lucky. 4:1 hmmm we use that only to flush them after running lol but if the cars are anything like the tether hydro's why would you use nitro lol.

you know your way around them so your aware of those factors, yes brian mc kellar in Sydney was the man for engines and parts, maybe if luck has it someone may do it again at some point if were lucky. 4:1 hmmm we use that only to flush them after running lol but if the cars are anything like the tether hydro's why would you use nitro lol.

LOL... Yes, the FAI-standard fuel is a required under the regulations. Both nitromethane and nitroethane are not used or allowed - at any time.

Back