Hello from Florida

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip Ellis

Reaction score
Glad to be here. I'm a retired land surveyor and build guitars and banjos as a paying hobby. I've got a lot of woodworking experience including turning but am a novice when it comes to metal working. I'm thinking it could come in handy for building some replacement parts, especially for banjos so going with something small. A friend called yesterday and said a friend had a small metal lathe that he was interested in selling so I checked it out and bought it this morning. It's a Unimat DB200 with, I think, about every accessory you can get for it plus a lot of tooling, all manuals and receipts, original wooden case, and other related paperwork. I believe that it was built in 1971. Everything is in great condition and seems to work like it should. It cost me $200 plus a BBQ lunch so I think I'm not into it too heavy. I just have to figure out all the parts and read the manuals and maybe do a little clean up and lube work. Looking forward to getting familiar with it and started haunting the machinists sites and You Tube to gain knowledge.

Hi !
Welcome to the forum !
Good luck with your projects .

Some years ago, I bought a Jet mill/drill from an estate. The previous owner had been building steel guitars.
I asked his son, "so, did he play steel guitars??" Son said, "Nope. Couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but he could build guitars!!"

Welcome, Skip. The CFL part of my identifier is Central Florida - I'm near the east coast 30-ish miles south of the KSC. A little city called Eau Gallie.

I've built one guitar kit and only worked on one broken guitar, so I'd never call myself a luthier. Never touched or worked on a banjo, but small "fiddly bits" in metal have caught a lot of my attention. On the metalworking side, I got my first lathe 20 years ago, a surplus CNC mill a couple of years later. I had never touched either kind of tool until then. Lots of learning fun coming for you!

Bob

Glad to be here. I'm a retired land surveyor and build guitars and banjos as a paying hobby. I've got a lot of woodworking experience including turning but am a novice when it comes to metal working. I'm thinking it could come in handy for building some replacement parts, especially for banjos so going with something small. A friend called yesterday and said a friend had a small metal lathe that he was interested in selling so I checked it out and bought it this morning. It's a Unimat DB200 with, I think, about every accessory you can get for it plus a lot of tooling, all manuals and receipts, original wooden case, and other related paperwork. I believe that it was built in 1971. Everything is in great condition and seems to work like it should. It cost me $200 plus a BBQ lunch so I think I'm not into it too heavy. I just have to figure out all the parts and read the manuals and maybe do a little clean up and lube work. Looking forward to getting familiar with it and started haunting the machinists sites and You Tube to gain knowledge.
Welcome to the group

Dave

Latest posts

Back