G'Day from Sydney

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omaroo

Reaction score
Hi everyone - it's great to find this forum :)

My name's Chris, and I'm from the southern outskirts of Sydney. I'm primarily interested (as far as this hobby goes, amongst many) in building my own glow engines.

I've been away from metalworking for three decades, more or less, and have finally taken the plunge to come back and buy a mini lathe to start building what I've always wanted to build - my own 10cc engine. I'm starting out by gradually replacing parts on existing OPS and MDS 60's to get back into the swing of things.

I've bought a small Sieg C2 to begin with, along with a vertical slide and a bunch of tools. It's a start. I hope to do as much as I can with it before going a little larger and trying to find another Myford ML7 like I had access to years ago at home. It needs a little tuning (loose cross slide with the vertical slide mounted), but it's a good little thing. I'm enjoying just being on a lathe again!

Anyway, my first two warm-up projects are a new air-cooled cylinder head for an OPS 60 marine that I'm converting to air for installation in a tether car, and a basic venturi carb to replace the throttleable one current on there. I'm just waiting for a 1/4-32 tap to arrive so that I can thread the head for the glow plug and I'll test today. Great fun :)

Glad to be here. I'm looking forward to chatting! Small fry compared to some of the amazing people and work I've been seeing here, so there's LOTS of inspiration to be gleaned from this forum!

Cheers
Chris

Hi from western Sydney
Do you race your tether car at SSME?

Paul

G'day Paul :)

Yes, I plan to join SSME so that I can run a couple of class 5 cars. I've waited to join until I have a couple of engines ready to roll, and I know that I can build a couple of chassis. I've yet to source gearboxes, but may end up designing and building my own. Oh the joy of having a lathe and mill! :) now I just have to learn how to cut gears...

Welcome to the forum we do focus on model engines but tell no one what they have to build. we are also about learning/teaching and having fun machining.
so enjoy.
Tin

Hello and thank you for the welcome Patrick. Very interesting old school builds indeed! :) I'll definitely have to build one, one day.

Cheers Tin - the site is chock-full of great people and their projects. :) Thanks for the welcome.

we have always tried to make this a friendly welcoming and safe place for women children and small domestic animals.
Tin

don't know about crustaceans but have run into some that come of as crusty old men they are allowed as well.
Tin

Omaroo, it is not as difficult as it looks. just tackle 1 thing at a time. I used Boston gears in the rearend, 2:1 ratio.

Welcome from Canberra Omeroo! I like you are a bit of a novice in this field and am in awe at the abilities and inventiveness of fellow members on this forum. And a warning - I think this Forum is addictive... You can't seem but learn something new every time you come onto this Forum! They are a very clever, helpful and friendly LOT.
Bill.

Omaroo, it is not as difficult as it looks. just tackle 1 thing at a time. I used Boston gears in the rearend, 2:1 ratio.

I agree - nothing is really ever as difficult as it looks Patrick. The thing I like about metalwork on a lathe or mill is thinking spatially - you have a job sitting in three axes, and they're all capable of rotating. It's always easier to break tasks into smaller components and simply apply logic. Works every time. :) Having the appropriate tools also makes things a lot easier... that's the problem I have. Time and cash will fix that. LOL

Welcome from Canberra Omeroo! I like you are a bit of a novice in this field and am in awe at the abilities and inventiveness of fellow members on this forum. And a warning - I think this Forum is addictive... You can't seem but learn something new every time you come onto this Forum! They are a very clever, helpful and friendly LOT.
Bill.

Cheers Wilie, and thanks! Canberra hey? I have property down the road from you just outside of Cooma.:) Great part of the world.

Here's the first couple of little jobs off the new machine. A little rough yet, but it has to do a job this weekend - tomorrow. I'll clean it up a little later and maybe anodise it. My first time milling - lots of fun. :)

10cc nitro cylinder head and venturi carburettor including throttle body and fuel feed. Needle valve off existing engine.

P9135279.jpg

P9135283.jpg

P9135280.jpg

DSC04946.jpg

DSC04943.jpg

Back