Funky

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are the results of my enquiry at the first of the year about long stroke engines. The discussion lead to the creation of a mockup that underwent several revisions.

Which had severe angle problems witch lead to strange acceleration of components.

That lead to

Which lead to

I like the last design, but felt it would be best turned upside down. Don't ask why, I have forgotten the rationalization. But I did.
Here is the "hard copy".

The cylinder is made of free turning stainless steel. The piston, rods and lever are aluminum. The crank dics are a free turning, magnetic steel. I think it is stainless, I have had it for 10 years and shows no corrosion, but is different than the cylinder. The shafts are drill rod, mostly oil hardening. The frame is hot rolled steel. All in all, it is made of "mystery metals".

I had the ball bearings, had to buy most of the "Oilite" bushings. Had some, but not enough. At this point, I have about ten bucks and a lot of hours in it.

Future plans.
The piston will be replaced with one made of high quality cast iron, as will the rings. I screwed up this piston, so decided to go ahead and bust into the precious the cast iron as it will wear better in the SS.

The counter balance is too small, will be replaced with a larger one (naturally).

Head and valve train, open to suggestions. Have no real set plans at this point. A better description would be "Don't have a clue" how I will proceed. I know that I want a gearless hit and miss engine with a very visible governor. Also will have an auxiliary exhaust. I am thinking a single large flywheel on the side opposite the valve gear. The cylinder will probably be air cooled, a series of grooves machined in the SS

The engine is 1" bore, 4" stroke. The massive side frame will be minimized after the engine details are worked out.

Bill

Reactions: gus
Here you go Paul.

th_wav Ha Ha Ha! could not work out how to do a hands up for a video once finished so I thought the Mexican wave will do.

Looking good Bill
I am always harping on how I like something a little bit different. This engine fits in the something different category.
Please keep up the good work.

Baz.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back