For Zee & British Steam Loco Buffs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antman

Reaction score
“Er… Zee, there’s no headlight on your locomotive?’’
Proudly, “that’s because it’s a British loco. The carrots (orange M&Ms) are so good our driver can see in the dark.”
“He doesn’t have to. The driver isn’t the guy who’s steering.”
“And if being seen is the issue, you shouldn’t be on the (same) track anyway.”

I am confused. Who me? I don’t know what you mean.

Seriously though, at a flea market recently I picked up some UK mags, Old Glory, Heritage Railway, British Railways Illustrated, Back Track. Now, I was never really interested in the UK rail scene. I always liked USA rail with its interchange traffic. US locos just look the business, made for work ( day or night ). And South African rail, big locos, American, British or German imports running on our narrow 3’ 6’’ track, all with a headlight in front (where else?) and a head(?)light on the tender. We had a school field trip, back in the day, to the steam loco workshops in downtown Durban. All that is gone. You look at the same area today and can’t make out what has replaced it. More of the same. I must say British rail is/was something else. Elegant locomotives, immaculately tended track, narrow loading gauge, shorty goods wagons. But no headlights. Little marker lights for train classification, yes; headlights none. Am I missing something? Steam powered pop-ups maybe? Removable lights? I’ve ridden a few km on the footplate of one of SAR’s ALCO built 4-8-2s and I must confirm that forward vision is not good past that big boiler, even in daytime.

If I ever am able to build a loco, I would love to try modelling a British prototype with cylinders and valvework between the frames. True, you miss all the working bits of a Walscherts, but the overall visual impact is so neato.

I should probably be asking this on a railfan forum, but hey I feel like I know you all and I’m sure I’ll get a more educated answer here.

Cheers,
Ant

Interesting question. That sent me off into Google land using a 'steam locomotive headlamp' search...

It's amazing what people are interested in...

I didn't read it all...but the short story is...the headlamp is used to warn people of the oncoming train...not to illuminate. In the UK, most rail is fenced off...no need to warn.

Like I said, just a quick read on my part. I'm wondering how the train crossed the road without needing to give a warning.

http://www.ideashelper.com/history-railway-locomotive-headlamp-14.htm

I just figured it was because the only choice they had was Lucas, and figured, "Why bother?".

:big:

Only joking, my UK friends!
This is coming from an old fan of classic Triumph motorcycles. You never knew what would
happen when you turned on the headlamp.

Dean

Deanofid said:
This is coming from an old fan of classic Triumph motorcycles. You never knew what would
happen when you turned on the headlamp.
Dean

A bit like the original Morris Mini with Lucas coil and distributor. Will it start this time scratch.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Lucas, Prince of Darkness.

Maryak said:
A bit like the original Morris Mini with Lucas coil and distributor. Will it start this time scratch.gif

Best Regards
Bob
i had a 1970 austin mini and had the same problem with the lucas dizzy and coil and found it was due to a factory design fault the unit was right behind the grille so when driveing the rain would pee the lot through so i made a protection plate for it out of a piece of galvanized dust bin (trash can) to sheild it from the rain did the trick and it even started first time in minus 8 degrees during winter just wish i had kept that car now it would be tax exempt
reguards
john

Thanks guys,

I didn't expect an answer to a question that defies logic. And as for rubbishing Lucas ... I had a 64 MG Spridget that gave me not a moment's electrical hassle. I did drop a welch plug on the road from Durban to Cape Town though. Ouch!

Ant

Why do the English drink warm beer?

They keep it in Lucas fridges

(from an ex MGTF - 1954 owner)

Back