Colin Binnie's 'La Belles' for home construction.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Before starting on the burner I decided to tidy up what has been done so far and also fit some simple couplings to the buffer beams. The burner is completely new with a slightly smaller tank than the previous one. The construction is the same only having two filler tubes as Colin had designed. These tubes canl be used to empty the tank and an overflow is still fitted. The burner is designed to be easily and quickly removed to adjust its wicks, It is held in place with a screw through each frame going into a tube that goes through the burners tank. The front end of the burner is supported in a hole in the front stretcher cum draught/flame guard. Following some photographs of the progress. Tomorrow should see the burner finished.

Reversing012LB.jpg

Reversing013LR.jpg

LBBurner015LR.jpg

LbBurner016LR.jpg

Regards Tony.

Sure do like what you're doing here, Tony. Glad to see you staying with it... something I have trouble doing these days... :-[

Chuck

Great work, Tony. I sure like how the reversing lever turned out. Pretty slick.

Dean

Hi,

Managed to finish the burner today, worked OK but wouldn't suck back. Then realised that air was entering through the other filling tube. Solved problem with a cocktail stick. I will have to leave it filled up or redesign. The burner will need tweeking but that will be done when the locomotive is working. The burner will run with 3 tubes lit for 5 minutes hopefully only two will be needed. A blanking off tube has been made. A gas burner will probably be made for it as a lot of exhibitions do not allow meths fired locomotives. While the burner was in the pickle a start was made on the coupling rods.

LBBurner017LR.jpg

LBBurner018LR.jpg

LBBurner019LR.jpg

LBBurner020LR.jpg

LBBurner021LR.jpg

LBBurner022LRjpg.jpg

LBConnectingrods001LR.jpg

LBConnectingrods002LR.jpg

Regards Tony.

Hi,

Did some further work on the coupling rods today. A lot of the day was taken up in preparing for tomorrow when I am operating the garden railway at my Model Engineering Society the rest of the GR members are on holiday so if anyone in South Wales tomorrow wants a crash course on operating small steam engines let me know! Following photographs show the making of the coupling rods whose bosses still need to be finished. The video shows the first steam run of the locomotive, perhaps steam tow would be more accurate.

LBCouplingrods003LR.jpg

LBCouplingRods006LR.jpg

LBCouplingrods005LR.jpg

LBCouplingrods004LR.jpg

LBCouplingrods007LR.jpg

LBCouplingrods008LR.jpg

LBCouplingrods009LR.jpg

LBCouplingrods010LR.jpg

VIDEO.

Regards Tony.

Love it Mate
my little boy got all excited and was pointing at it on the track saying "Adduh Adduh"
I beleve that means he likes it :big:
Pete

Cool.. This is a great thing you're doing, bringing those plans all the rest of the way to completion. There's not much out there in little easy to build locos.

Hi,
I decided to make another burner with a larger tank I knew that if I didn't do it now it wouldn't be done when the model is finished. The burner made had be tried out on a Mamod locomotive which has a similar size boiler and larger cylinders. The burner performed well with two wicks being used, so the new burner will only have two wicks. The construction of the new burner is the same as the other except for the tank which is folded up from thin copper sheet. As the chassis was apart the screws were shortened to their correct size. The new tank required another frame spacer to be made to give it extra lengthg as well as height. Photographs follow.

LBBurnerMk3001LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3002LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3003LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3004LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3005LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3006LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3008LR.jpg

LBNewFramespacerLR.jpg

LBShorteningScrews02LR.jpg

LBShorteningscrews01LR.jpg

Regards Tony.

Hi,
Well its just over four weeks since I started on this thread and I will now have to finish due to holidays and other commitments. With luck I should be back to it come the beginning of October maybe even this year. I am reasonably happy with my progress but wish I had made less of the parts more than once. The following photographs show the coupling rod ends being finished using hardened steel filing buttons. The finished burner which runs over 15 minutes on a filling. I'm glad I bothered to make another burner because as well as its longer running time the original tended to leak back through its filling tubes when the locomotive was tilted sideways a bit. The last photographs show the jigs and formers so far made. The last photograph show my R&D efforts, scrap really but after so much effort R&D sounds better.

LBCouplingrods011LR.jpg

LBCouplingrods012LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3010LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3009LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3011LR.jpg

LBBurnerMk3012LR.jpg

LBasof070811LR.jpg

LBjigsuntil070811LR.jpg

LBRD070811LR.jpg

Regards Tony.

Hi,

I said that I might get back to this thread in October or maybe this year. Well this year is just managed! Domestic engineering and refurbishing a 5" gauge steam locomotive have taken up time.

This Post Reply had a

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new post.

before continuing what is the best thing to do?

Regards Tony.

Just keep going Tony....It'll let you....doesn't bother me a bit.

Dave

Hi,

Just after my last post the computer decided to go wrong, had it back repaired yesterday. So now a fair amout of progress has been made on Colin's locomotive. There are now quite a lot of photographs to go through. This is how the locomotive was left early last August.

001LBfillervalvelocoLR.jpg

The next job to be tackled should be finishing the pistons and cylinders but still have a bit of and issue of trying to get a 14mm stroke into a cylinder 22mm long. So took the cowards way out and started on something else. The water filler valve and lubricator which are of similar construction was chosen. The filler valve was the first to be made. I hope the following photographs show the means of its construction.

LBfillerlubdrawingLR.jpg

003LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

004LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

005LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

006LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

008LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

007LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

009LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

010LBfillervalvebodyLR.jpg

011LBfillervalveLR.jpg

I will post more photographs after they have been sorted out.

Regards Tony.

Looking great Tony
keep it coming :bow:
Pete

Just keep on rockin' TB, older threads that have been dormant for a while and are picked up again just gives an excuse to revisit it and any interest is rekindled once again. I'm not an admin, but I don't believe the members will mind one bit. Some nice work you have going on there.

BC1
Jim

Great to see you back at it Tony Thm:

Kind regards, Arnold

Hi,

I have managed to process all the photographs taken so far. They will be posted not in the order that they were made and there will be a couple of posts to break them up. Starting with the chimney, still avoiding making a decision on the pistons.

053LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

054LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

055LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

056LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

001LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

002LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

003LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

004LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

005LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

006LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

007LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg

008LBmakingchimneyLR.jpg