For John Rus & Buchanan (V12 in the works)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is totally awesome! Your designe (and others) have made me start drawing my own V16! Yes I know it's a huge undertaking but I don't plan on making this my first engine or project so I'm not in any hurry.

The specks are going to be as follows,

V16.
Four stroke.
Duel overhead cam.
Super charged.

Carburated (mabye fuel injected later on).
1" bore and stroke.
Crossplane crank.
Liquid cooled.
Spark ignition.
Regular gasoline.

But I still would love to see your V12!!! I had the hardest time deciding between the two and settled for the V16 simply because it's much less common.

Sorry if I hyjacked the thread, I couldn't help myself.

Cheers,
John.

Last edited:
Hey John

Your right it's a huge undertaking, keep me up on your progress. I'll post again soon. I'm still debating Dual overhead cams or conventional type, overhead is easier , but adjustment is limited to being able to add or remove shims, where rockers are infinitely adjustable. So what should I choose? any feedback?????????

Jack

Last edited:
I went with DOHC over OHV because of it's lower inertia, simpler to create four valves per cylinder (not a big deal for me), greater design flexability, machinist friend thought it was more reliable, and the pulleys give me an chance to embelish a bit. It also give me the ability to implement variable valve phasing.

Edit.

My progress so far, con rods, lower crank case, cylinder block. Working on the crank right now.

I'm drafting by hand right now and will finalize in CAD later.

Cheers,
John.

Last edited:
Gentlemen...

Very interesting to read that some "new" designs will eventually be introduced to the Modeling community. Looking forward to seeing them.

Wish someone with designing talents would go backwards in time and do a 1916 King-Bugatti U-16 Aero engine....basically two banks of straight 8s, connected to a common output shaft, and sharing a common crankcase. Nice engine, with that "retro" look, and certainly, different. Doesn't have to be an exact copy, but should have that old-fashioned look. Hint, hint.....

Frank

That would be an interesting design, I have my hands full at the moment but someone else with a design itch want to have a crack at it?

John.

John....

Yes, you do have your hands full. Can't wait to see your concepts "on paper".

Maybe someone with designer talents will get an itch for a vintage Aero engine, and do the King-Bugatti U-16. The "Cirrus" is just about played out by now.

Frank

I have been thinking about a V16 myself. Other than the distributor being huge, i like the design. I have a V8 version running so I am sure it will work.

Untitled-3.jpg

The problem with the Bugatti is, who has one we can measure up? It's not easy to get access to a bugatti.

DSCN2107.jpg

Steve:

Your designs are first-class...always.

King-Bugatti....you are right. Not too many exist, and I think there is one on display either in Ohio, or The Smithsonian Museum. But, surely drawings exist in some archive, company records, etc. Aren't drawings kept on file somewhere? Just speculation on my part.

Frank

Steve...

Have I missed the build thread on that inline 8? I don't seem to be able to find it with the search function.

Steve:

Your designs are first-class...always.

King-Bugatti....you are right. Not too many exist, and I think there is one on display either in Ohio, or The Smithsonian Museum. But, surely drawings exist in some archive, company records, etc. Aren't drawings kept on file somewhere? Just speculation on my part.

Frank

Yes drawings exist. The bugatti Trust makes any existing drawings available. When I checked years ago it was 5 bucks a page and the T50 was over 200 pages. I'll be at the smithsonian next week. i'll look around.

Steve...

OUCH! Now I know why there are no/few model, King-Bugatti engines. But my thoughts were not to replicate the engine exactly, but to replicate the "look" of the engine.

I could envision that the good designers on this forum, with computer-CAD skills, could come up with something resembling this unique-looking engine if they were so inclined.

It's not important. It was only just a whim, and thinking-in-print on my part. We all dream.

Frank

Steve...

OUCH! Now I know why there are no/few model, King-Bugatti engines. But my thoughts were not to replicate the engine exactly, but to replicate the "look" of the engine.

I could envision that the good designers on this forum, with computer-CAD skills, could come up with something resembling this unique-looking engine if they were so inclined.

It's not important. It was only just a whim, and thinking-in-print on my part. We all dream.

Frank

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. All you would need is access to the engine and a tape measure and pad of paper. The trouble is getting access to one. A one time stop would not even come close. You would need to measure many times because you always seem to miss something. I think it's a great idea I just don't know if you can gain access to such a rare engine.

I love looking at vintage Aero engines, old machinery, and unconventional designs, etc. The Bugatti was just another of those engines that caught my eye, because of the way it looked.

It is a monumental undertaking to design engine models, and I thank you guys for all the great designs that you conceive, and then, build.

Sorry to steer into this territory, instead of focusing on the subject of this thread. My apologies.

Frank

@Frank: You might want to have a look at the German book "Zima - Ungewöhnliche Motoren" (Vogel Buchverlag) translates to "ununsual engines" by Professor Zima (rip). He collected information, pictures and scetches of many unusual internal combustion engines and does some analysis on why most of them failed to succeed on the long term. It's so fascinating you actually will learn bits n pieces of German :)

Here I thought this was the King Bugatti.

This is at the ACD Museum in Auburn Indiana.
Art

That's the engine.... Unconventional, to say the least.

Probably a nightmare to machine as an accurate replica. Surely, you guys could "uncomplicate" this engine...if so inclined. I wish I had 1/100th of the designing skills, and critical thinking, as the posters on this thread. All I can do is buy drawings. : (

Thanks for the eye-candy.

Frank

@ Till: Thanks for the book title and description. It sounds like an interesting "read".

Latest posts

Back