Fancy Calipers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmechthings

Reaction score
More years ago than I want to remember, I picked up a reprint copy of a 1897 Sears Catalog. When looking through it, I seen a pair of what they called "Fancy Calipers". Using a Xerox machine I enlarged the image, with the intent of using it for a pattern to make some calipers. Well the enlarged image got tucked into the catalog and forgot about. Today while I was searching for something to build, I ran across the picture again. With more than a dozen pair, I certainly did not need more calipers, but I did not have any fancy ones, so out in the workshop I went for a couple hours. A spring washer was built into the joint to provide friction. I was really surprised how well they work for both inside and outside measuring, in spite of their whimsical shape. However I suspect that I will use them more to show off than to measure with.

IMG_3574.jpg

And here is a scanned copy of the catalog page in case someone wants to make a pair. I did not check, but I doubt if they still sell them.
Birk ;D

image-2.jpg

Birk,

Nice job. Have seen them before but can't recall exactly were. Think they are more of a conversation piece than a tool for measuring. :big:

Bernd

Now that's really an odd-leg caliper!

I like it ;D

Neat Birk - another 'must do' just for the novelty of 'em.

Back