Englishmans build of rupnow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take heart Canman--I just did a recount of the parts in this engine. The computer tells me there are 111 parts. Take away 3 bearings and 2 bevel gears and that only leaves 106 fabricated parts. If you are building the air cooled version, take away 2 more parts. It doesn't matter if the parts you made are small parts.--They still reduce the overall part count!!! I have the very last part up on my mill right now. Tomorrow I may actually get to run this thing as a hit and miss engine.---Brian

Cool cool 102 parts to go haha. Yeah im doing the air cooled version. Just trying to get bits done when i can around work and wedding planning haha
And well done brian on a fantastically designed engine and yours looks brilliant. Cant wait to see it completed.

James

Canman--I can't wait to see it completed either. I'm tired of spending every day in my shop. I know it runs, we've seen that . Today we will try for "hit and miss" mode running.---Brian

James--The best material for a piston running in a cast cylinder is cast iron. That is because cast iron has a very high carbon content, and is somewhat self lubricating. If you plan on making or buying cast iron rings, you pretty well must make your piston from cast iron. I cheat a bit, and make my pistons from 6061 aluminum. I can get away with that because I use a Viton o-ring instead of cast iron rings. The O-rings are inexpensive--I pay $1 each for them. These are not high temperature engines, and I know of at least one experienced engine builder who gets away with a plain black butyl rubber o-ring, but I wouldn't try that---I'd be afraid of it melting. Viton is a high heat compound and can certainly stand up to the temperatures in one of these engines. I have 4 other engines running them and they all work fine.

This is a little late... Has any one tried making rings out of Teflon?

Brian I'd love to spend more time in mine but I can't at the mo with work and sorting the wedding out haha. :wall:. I'm trying to sort a bigger workshop out aswell as Im only working in a 6' x 4' tin shed and with my lathe and pillar drill and tool box in it I have no room to work.
Jwcnc I've not had any experience with Teflon especially when it comes to engines as this is my first, im think I'm going to go with the viton ring same as Brian but I've gotta try and find a source for it yet.

Had a bit of progress tonight had and hour in the man cave and got all the holes in the side plates piloted and the holes on the bottom drilled to size. Next is base plate as I want to try and get somewhere with it. With not having a mill I'm trying to also figure out how to do the milling on the parts and the milling vice I've made for the lathe is looking favourable as its an old myford lathe top slide bolted to a plate I made up and it has a nice counterbored hole in it which will make a nice run of for the drills. Gonna try and look at doing them this weekend.

All the best James.

Side plates and conrod piloted.

ForumRunner_20130726_215015.jpg

Hi Canman, making good progress. I ordered my viton O rings off eBay, bag of 20 for $5.90 all up. Cheaper than driving to a bearing shop and buying one.

Paul.

Canman--This is just a drop in to say Hi and offer up a word of encouragement. I am currently "breaking new ground" with my CDI ignition that I have purchased. ( I don't believe that my engine requires a CDI to run it, but I have always wanted to try one.) Cheers mate, keep up the good work. I will probably repeat this message to all the others who are building the Rupnow engine.---Brian

Right bit of an update as I've not posted for a while. I'm at bit of a dead spot at the moment because I've gotta try and figure out how I'm going to mill the parts as the vertical slide I've made for my lathe is not up to the job as it keeps moving when I tough the job with the cutter so I've not really made any more progress other then drilling and counter boring the base plate.
Any ideas would be muchly appreciated? As I don't have a mill and all the mill at work are taken up with jobs at the mo so can't use them :wall::wall:.

All the best James.

Reactions: gus
James--I'm sorry that you seem to be stalled out on your build. I have no advice to give concerning the lack of a milling machine. I purchased my lathe 5 years ago, and it became apparent pretty fast that without a milling machine, I really couldn't build very much. I looked at what was involved in adding a slide to my lathe to mill in it, but that didn't seem to be a particularly good answer for me. Fortunately, I was able to buy a milling machine. I do hope that you are able to go ahead with the build.---Brian

Hey Brian I'm still here and still in with the build I've managed to adapt the milling slide by making a new base for it but not had chance to try it out as I'm working all the time at the mo and I'm struggling to get anything done lol. I will try and get it done as soon as possible so I'm hoping it works. I'm currently in negotiations with my boss at the moment for buying a bridgeport milling machine that's sat at work rusting but it will be a little project if I get it as the bed is really rusted.
I hope to try and get in the shop this week but work commitments are top at the mo especially paying for the wedding :wall::wall:. Hahaha.
Im still checking in on everybody else's build and the work that's being produced is absolutely fantastic.
Will check in on my own work soon I hope
All the best James.

Bit of a update if u can call it that haha. Bolted the sideplates on just to see. Also managed to make a faceplate for the lathe and can swing the conrod on it. Im hoping to do the side plates but ive got see when i get the bearing caps on.

James

ForumRunner_20130827_223122.jpg

Bit of an update got a couple of bits started. Started the flywheels and crank shaft. Some of the shots are in progress ones. The machine isnt mine (wish it was though haha) its one of my works been doing bits in my lunch breaks.
Cheers james.

ForumRunner_20130904_124303.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_124311.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_124335.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_124351.jpg

ForumRunner_20130904_124442.jpg

Reactions: gus
Thank you for the update James. Building one of these engines is a lot like eating an elephant. --One bite at a time.--You're doing fine.--Brian

Latest posts

Back