Englishmans build of rupnow engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canman

Reaction score
Well here goes my start on Brian's ic engine. And my first ever engine build. Gotta say I'm excited and nervous at the same time haha.
First off ive not done any machining yet I've just been collecting materials, studying drawings and generally getting myself sorted.
My lathe isn't anything fancy it's a Clarke cl500m that I quite literally brought for scrap money, the guy I got it off had stripped it down and had lost most of the parts, so the milling head has been removed it hadn't got no pulley on the motor and hasn't got any power feed yet but I'm working on that gonna look at making my own gears for it. It didn't have any chucks or tool post and some bearings were missing out the headstock. But now it's up and running apart from power feed and a decent quick change tool post. I've also got a pillar drill and plan on turning the milling head of the lathe into its own independent machine. :hDe:.
But I'm divulging I work in a machine shop so I do machining and fabrication work for a living and I have a great workshop gaffer who's the bosses son and hes let me have my material from work so that helps a lot. Ive got some cast for the cylinder and some brass for the various small parts (should be interesting with my sausage fingers hahaha.) and I got some steel rectangle bar aswell hopefully if everything goes to plan I'll have my first parts by the weekend :D.

Got a question though Brian would cast be alright for the flywheels? And would I be ok using metric bearing instead of imperial?

Can't upload pics at mo so will try later.

Cheers guys also any hints, tips, or advice is muchly appreciated haha.

All the best James.

I have the same lathe which was bought from Eb y cheaply only not with the mill on it,I also have the users manual which gives full charts of gears for thread cutting and the parts manual if you want a copy of them. couple of niggling things with the lathe tailstock the lack of quill travel next door to useless and the cross slide spacer the grub screw keeps coming loose and you notice it just as it scraps your work lol was going to change the spacer for a bearing but untill i get round to it i replaced the grub screw with a longer one and locknut.

James--just about any metal will do for the flywheels, except aluminum, as it is too light. As far as bearings go, the best advise I can give you is to use what is readily available. My engine plans are for a "British Imperial" measurement system, which is feet and inches, so I used 3/8" bearings and shafts. The closest metric dimension to that which will be readily available would be a 10mm shaft and bearings. Just remember, that if you use any other bearing than the ones which I specify, you will have to change the plans accordingly in the counterbores and some of the spacer thicknesses. Welcome to the build, and I hope I don't mislead you. I am doing my best to forge ahead on this project so that if any errors show up in my plans, I will see them first and make others aware and change the drawings. This build is probably going to be more complex than the Webster, which many people build for a first engine. However, if you are an experienced machinist you shouldn't get into too much trouble with this. My lathe doesn't have a (working) power feed, but since the longest parts I make are generally less than 5 inches, it hasn't been a problem. Good luck, and if you need any help, just yell.---Brian

Well here goes my start on Brian's ic engine. And my first ever engine build. Gotta say I'm excited and nervous at the same time haha.
First off ive not done any machining yet I've just been collecting materials, studying drawings and generally getting myself sorted.
My lathe isn't anything fancy it's a Clarke cl500m that I quite literally brought for scrap money, the guy I got it off had stripped it down and had lost most of the parts, so the milling head has been removed it hadn't got no pulley on the motor and hasn't got any power feed yet but I'm working on that gonna look at making my own gears for it. It didn't have any chucks or tool post and some bearings were missing out the headstock. But now it's up and running apart from power feed and a decent quick change tool post. I've also got a pillar drill and plan on turning the milling head of the lathe into its own independent machine. :hDe:.
But I'm divulging I work in a machine shop so I do machining and fabrication work for a living and I have a great workshop gaffer who's the bosses son and hes let me have my material from work so that helps a lot. Ive got some cast for the cylinder and some brass for the various small parts (should be interesting with my sausage fingers hahaha.) and I got some steel rectangle bar aswell hopefully if everything goes to plan I'll have my first parts by the weekend :D.

Got a question though Brian would cast be alright for the flywheels? And would I be ok using metric bearing instead of imperial?

Can't upload pics at mo so will try later.

Cheers guys also any hints, tips, or advice is muchly appreciated haha.

All the best James.

Hi James,

I envy you.You have machineshop and material at your disposal.

Used to run a manufacturing/assembly plant with full compliment of machine tools,power press,bending rolls and auto----manual welding machines.But no time make my own stuff. By knock off time,Gus is mentally exhausted in his
"Operations Manager's Office.Did try office hours but desk phones keep ringing for immediate attention for delivery status from too many bosses and customers. But I did venture with some success into aluminuim gravity casting with inhouse made Cast Iron Molds and Gas fired furnace to cast some condensate traps by the hundreds to beat competition.See fotos.
As a 12 year old lad,watched neighbourhood uncles gravity casting small batches of Fiat Car Engine Pulleys using small deep chinese C.I.Woks on modifiedkerosene stoves. Pour Temperature was judged by eyeball and bookmold temperature with spitum. They had no rejects from first casted piece. They made it look so easy.

With zero experience I went in and three months of hard knocks came up good castings but not before making C.I.molds and gas fired C.I.crucible furnace.All happened after I made a trip to Shanghai Compressor Plant and found time to seek help from the foundry uncles. They were so eager to teach me. A dinner for ten yielded life time info.All happened in 1986. Casted many batches. Won many repeat orders for compressors with this condensate trap.Used degassing disc and grain refining addictives and add on silicon etc. Gus is no expert. He got himself into deep trouble.
Now contemplating making a small electric fired furnace to cast mini castings.Maybe heading into trouble again.They made it look so easy on YouTube.

IMG_2004.jpg

Last edited:
Not posted for a while, because I've had to do some repair works the lathe. Had to replace headstock bearings :wall:. But I'm off again and the machine is running better then before which is a bonus haha.
Right well I've been gathering more materials I've now got flywheel material, some brass for valves and such, some cast for the cylinder, I've also got the material for the base plate, side plates and con rod. Also picked some material up today for the govener body. Ooo and I got the bearings aswell.
The side plates are all marked out ready for drilling tapping cutting and machining, really hoping to have the base together by the weekend. Same With the con rod.
Pretty much all I've got to report for now.
All the best James.

James---I found out yesterday when I assembled my machine that you don't need to have such a large radius on the corners of the con rod as I called for on the drawing. Right now I just have square corners on my con rod, and it clears the inside of the cylinder.--Not by very much, but not so it requires such large radii.---Brian

Cheers Brian that's gonna help with that as I was wondering how I was going to do it haha. Really need to look at getting a proper mill lol.
Just a quick question though Brian what materials best for the piston with a cast cylinder? as I can look for material at work tomorrow. ;)
All the best James.

James--The best material for a piston running in a cast cylinder is cast iron. That is because cast iron has a very high carbon content, and is somewhat self lubricating. If you plan on making or buying cast iron rings, you pretty well must make your piston from cast iron. I cheat a bit, and make my pistons from 6061 aluminum. I can get away with that because I use a Viton o-ring instead of cast iron rings. The O-rings are inexpensive--I pay $1 each for them. These are not high temperature engines, and I know of at least one experienced engine builder who gets away with a plain black butyl rubber o-ring, but I wouldn't try that---I'd be afraid of it melting. Viton is a high heat compound and can certainly stand up to the temperatures in one of these engines. I have 4 other engines running them and they all work fine.

Just a few pics of material ive together for the engine and a pic of my refurbished clarke lathe.

ForumRunner_20130710_081602.png

ForumRunner_20130710_081615.png

ForumRunner_20130710_081630.png

Bit of an update. Hot the conrod side plates and bearing caps roughed out on the band saw at work.

ForumRunner_20130717_140234.jpg

Hang in their buddy. Once you can start bolting pieces together, it starts to come together pretty quickly.----Brian

Thats what im hoping for matey. Once i get going i wont be stopping haha. I love maching and making things way to much. - james.

Reactions: gus
Brian i ment to ask im struggling to get hold of half inch ally for the baseplate. So would 10mm bright drawn mild steel be ok? Cheers james.

Yes James, it would be fine. Long as its thick enough to bury the heads of the socket head capscrews in. You don't want the heads setting proud of the bottom, and you don't want the counterbore to go all the way thru the plate.

Damn damn damn damn and oh yeah damn grrrrr. Lathes in bits again pulley on the motor decided to say no more damn thing. Looks like I'm busy at work tomorrow haha.
Cheers Brian that's gonna be my next job getting the base plate marked out and drilled (I hope haha)
All the best james.

Reactions: gus
Hey andrew thanks. i am so far with this being my first build id enjoy it even more if i wernt repairing my lathe every five mins from the bodging of the previous owner.

James

Managed to get into the shed tonight and had a bit of a play on the lathe with my new quick change tool holder that ive designed myself. So its a bit of a jump ahead part but it was nice just to test out with.
Sorry about the quality of the pics cameras not a brilliant one.

All the best james.

ForumRunner_20130724_225807.jpg

ForumRunner_20130724_225818.jpg

Latest posts

Back