Elmer's #45 by Trout

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trout,

Deans last post was to SAM rather than Trout.

I'm truly honored to be confused with you. :bow:

I like the dark lagging on your cylinder.

SAM

Trout, now I just know you didn't swear or anything like that when you discovered your mistake. Sister Ellen would not approve very much and would have you in the priests office being punished for having done so. :big: What a bummer. To have all of that fine work and time be wasted by one simple mistake. Damn. Ooops! (sorry sister for I know not what I do) Your final result after all of that is quite a nice piece of work. And I like your no nonsense, never mind all of the fancy calculations, hole drilling style. If it works, no one will ever know it isn't exactly 2.3579* etc, etc. Well done.

BC1
Jim

Trout, that came out just dandy Thm:

Bad luck on the previous cylinder... It happens ;) - Don't chuck it away though; fill up the holes with some brass pins and silver solder them in; then you can re-drill as needed and still use the cylinder - if you fill all the passage holes you can use it for a couple of different Elmer engines :) Fortunately it was brass and not aluminium.

Kind regards, Arnold

Sam, Dennis, they all sound the same to me... ???

Sorry for the goof up, you guys!!
I feel like a dork.

Dean

BC1: I think for once, I may not have sworn and the reason is I was taking a short break, sitting out in front of the work shed in my comfortable Adirondak with the warm sun hitting my face and the mood was relaxing. That changed quickly however as my mind drifted to the cylinder block and I suddenly remembered one port was supposed to shallower than the others. The rest of the break was trying to figure out a work-around.

As for accurate calculations, when you're going into orbit over Mars you'd better be accurate to 6 decimal places but for making these small engines, maybe not so much...and thank goodness for that because so far in my efforts I've been lucky to hit +/-.oo4 except for piston clearance where I've been luckier.

Arnold: Thanks. I've saved the piece because it later occurred to me that I could do just as you suggest.

Dean: Those "senior moments" seem to come around more and more for me these days. They are good for smiles. :)

-Trout

Troutsqueezer said:
Dean: Those "senior moments" seem to come around more and more for me these days. They are good for smiles. :)
-Trout

Oh my.. You're not the only one, Trout. I've proved that well enough!

Dean

Hi Guys,

I finished up the cylinder this morning. That was quite a task and turned out to be more work than I thought. I started out thinking this engine would be a piece of cake compared to the last engine I built but it turns out not to be the case. I've got the major parts made now so it's on to the smaller ones.

DSC05177.jpg

DSC05181.jpg

I got tired of swarf all over my clothes when using the milling machine. The plastic shield that comes with the X2 was always a pain to use but I did find a way to make it handier by using...you guessed it....welding magnets.

-Trout

DSC05176.jpg

Dennis,

The black finish looks good with the brass and aluminium.

SAM

It's shaping up beautifully, Dennis. The colors here show a very pleasing contrast.
Nice!

Dean

Looks great Trout.

Nice idea on the plastic shield. Now I'll get mine back out.

You'll want to put those magnets in plastic sandwich bags when you're cutting ferrous materials.

The contrasts are great. This is shaping up to be one classy looking little steamer.

Kel

Well it's been three weeks, I suspect it will be two or three more before it's through but I thought I would update this thread with the latest pic. I still have to make the steam chest, valve and valve rod. Already planning the video. You might spot some writing on the crankshaft, that came with the power drill bit I used. It was handy and exactly the right size. Doesn't affect the rotation any.

-Trout

DSC05225.jpg

Very nice, Dennis. Everything looks cleanly machined.

Dean

Great looking parts Dennis.

Your photo's are real nice too.

Your build's coming along really well Dennis Thm:
Don't worry about the drill bit ;) - from Elmer's own write-ups he also used whatever handy bits that was lying around, so you've got the right spirit ;D

Regards, Arnold

Thanks guys.

My wife likes to shoot photos of her plant specimens so I used her black box setup to shoot my engine parts since it was taking up room in my shed.

-T

From the ashes Trout's 45 rears up again! I've been working on it all this time but intermixed with some shop reorganizing and other stuff. I'm never in a hurry anyway.

But first...I saw this chuck on Harbor Freight's web site for $25 and figured it would come in handy used in conjunction with my RT. It has an MT2 taper which is hard to find it seems, so it seats into the center hole on the RT and what d'ya know, easy centering.

DSC05302.jpg

I thought this cylinder assembly looked like something you might pull out of a power boat so took a shot. It represents a lot of work and a lot of learning.

DSC05307.jpg

And finally, the finished engine. I was very pleased with the aesthetics. It's ready to run but I did not have time today to take that step. Tomorrow will be good since I am on vacation this week. I expect it to run without much trouble. All the mechanisms mesh smoothly and the piston is a good fit. I'm already working on the video and should have it posted in a few days.

-Trout

DSC05314.jpg

DSC05315.jpg

Latest posts

Back