Dave's Chuck Sigle

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bernd,

I cheated. the part was placed on parallels upon setup. The holes would have hit them when drilled. I knock them out very gently brfore I drilled. They will not move due to most of the part being in the vice and I use little pressure when drilling. This may not be the best way to do it but it has worked on several engines I have worked on and I have never had a problem.

Good Eye you caught me ;D ;D

dreeves said:
bernd,

I cheated. the part was placed on parallels upon setup. The holes would have hit them when drilled. I knock them out very gently brfore I drilled....

I have done that a few times...

Eric

Brass_Machine said:
I have done that a few times...

Eric
same here.. another sometimes-useful dodge in this situation is drilling 90% of the way then finishing on the drill press later.

I got some new work done on the engine tonight.

I worked on the head along with the valve and pushrod.I started by making a fixture to hold the head for the work to be done.

Here is the head on the fixtrue before any work is done

P1010058.jpg

This is cutting the contour of the 1.25 Dia. I used autocad to get the X and Y for the contour.
P1010059.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010063.jpg

I then move to the .625 Dia. and did the same thing.
P1010066.jpg

P1010064.jpg

I then made the valve and used a spring from a ballpoint pen. As yo ucan see I aslo made the rod for the pushrod.
P1010069.jpg

Here is the parts on the engine.
P1010070.jpg

More to come :big:

Ya done good, Dave!

Chuck

That looks fantastic, Dave - looking forward to seeing the next pics.

Looking really good Dave :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Dave,

Very nice technique you used to contour the part. I saw that done many years ago at the place I worked. They used a tape controlled machine to move the X and Y axis to come up with the shape of a master cam. Nice job finishing up those cutting marks.

Looks better than what a CNC could do. ;D Probably faster too! :big: :big:

Bernd

Dave.

You are doing a fine job on that little engine. Can't wait to see it finished.

Now, just a quick question for the more machining challenged amongst us - that's me. In your earlier pics, there is a little thing sitting on your vice that looks like two bars with slide rods and kept apart by a spring. What the hell is it?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

steamdave said:
two bars with slide rods and kept apart by a spring. What the hell is it?

Dave
The Emerald Isle

It looks to me like some kind of "indexing" device, like when you need to drill many equal parts. Set the machine once and repeat the holes in every part the same. (Pardon my English) :)

bernd,

thanks for the good words. I didnt like the part as made thats why I didnt complete the sanding of the tool marks. If you look close to the area where the two circles come together you can see I muse have missed a step because the dia. is to small. The head is smaller than the Cylinder. I will use the head to get the engine running than remake the part.

Also to Steamdave for answering the vise stop question. I love it because as chuck stated you can take the part out then replace it.

dreeves said:
bernd,

thanks for the good words. I didnt like the part as made thats why I didnt complete the sanding of the tool marks. If you look close to the area where the two circles come together you can see I muse have missed a step because the dia. is to small. The head is smaller than the Cylinder. I will use the head to get the engine running than remake the part.

Dave,

It looked fine to me, but now that you've told the world you've got to fix it. :big: Had you said nothing nobody but you would have known.

Still looking very nice. Keep plugging away. Videos when running, right? ;D

Bernd

Videos,

I seem to have a problem with that. When I upload the video is says it was uploaded to the server but it does not sho in my folder?

Has anybody else have that problem. I have videos of other engines I have posted and would like to add them

Dave, where are you uploading the videos to?

I generally upload my videos to YouTube then copy the link over to the posting on HMEM. Others, I notice, use Photobucket, etc.

Chuck

Talked to Dave a few minutes ago. I am going to help him with this.

Eric

Got some new work on the engine today. I made the cam gear and cam. I also made the valve. I tested the valve and when I put the air to the and rotate the cam it makes a nice pop. I will make the crank gear this weekend and hope to have it run. :big:

111.jpg

1122.jpg

144.jpg

44444.jpg

now its time for a beer

Latest posts

Back