Cutting oils What do you use?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1702644670742.png

Try this from old timers in 1960's. The best to brush on white lead in oil 🛢.
Never try white lead.

Dave
In the first shop I worked in, there was an old bottle of white lead for use on solid centers, but even then, in the early 70s, it was not supposed to be used, lead is toxic and the heat from using it for machining would make it into a mist/aerosol so you'd breath it in. Probably NOT a good suggestion.

This may sound crazy at least it did to me after 34 years of being a machinist. I never heard of this until I started my new position at a UC Davis as a machinist. A lot of time we use Isopropyl alcohol in a drip squeeze bottle. It has zero irritating fumes and leaves zero residue. I only use it on light cuts but it seems to work ok. Now I use it in my home garage machine shop just so I don't get smoke fumes traveling into the house. Because I here it from the family when they do. Go ahead at search it up on the internet an you will find more information about using it. I was also wondering if anyone else has or heard or used it? I also use water soluble cutting oil in a small squeeze bottle that seems to work ok. Kerosene and WD-40 are very irritating to me now they didn't bother me when I was younger, but I don't have a problem with cutting oil smoke.
Gary

In the first shop I worked in, there was an old bottle of white lead for use on solid centers, but even then, in the early 70s, it was not supposed to be used, lead is toxic and the heat from using it for machining would make it into a mist/aerosol so you'd breath it in. Probably NOT a good suggestion.
I know it is very toxic and was band in California.

I have a cup can of lead substitute non toxic for lathe chuck scroll California approved.

Dave

This may sound crazy at least it did to me after 34 years of being a machinist. I never heard of this until I started my new position at a UC Davis as a machinist. A lot of time we use Isopropyl alcohol in a drip squeeze bottle. It has zero irritating fumes and leaves zero residue. I only use it on light cuts but it seems to work ok. Now I use it in my home garage machine shop just so I don't get smoke fumes traveling into the house. Because I here it from the family when they do. Go ahead at search it up on the internet an you will find more information about using it. I was also wondering if anyone else has or heard or used it? I also use water soluble cutting oil in a small squeeze bottle that seems to work ok. Kerosene and WD-40 are very irritating to me now they didn't bother me when I was younger, but I don't have a problem with cutting oil smoke.
Gary
I have not heard of using Isopropyl alcohol for cutting oil. Use for cleaning off oil.
I have WD40 but only time used for cutting is when work at as journeyman repair machine and only thin had for a cutting oil WD40.

Dave

I just use tap magic for about everything unless I can get some black cutting oil.

For threading tap magic works pretty well I use a lot of small taps in aluminum a little steel . Dull taps get recycled unless I can finesse sharpen them . Good old dremel and fine wheel does work if you are careful. When I first started in the shop the master said there was no excuse for broken taps . Then we learned various ways to remove them . It was perfectly ok with him if we said something like “ who is the dumb a+*^%#) that busted this tap . We were instructed to charge double or more . What traffic would bare . We had a small EDM machine and lots of copper tungsten rods for electrodes so removing busted taps was common and easy . He loved it if someone brough in something with broken eZe out. He used to say that you needed a license to use Ez outs.
For threading aluminum and even some machining, Relton A-9, your wife might even like the smell though it would be fairly expensive.

I have not heard of using Isopropyl alcohol for cutting oil. Use for cleaning off oil.
I have WD40 but only time used for cutting is when work at as journeyman repair machine and only thin had for a cutting oil WD40.

Dave
WD-40 in the spray cans works for cutting 3/4"/20mm aluminum plate with a portable circular saw with a carbide blade, very noisy, requires hearing protection, face mask and something to keep the chips out of the back of your neck as you're cutting, and a second person similarly equip using the WD-40, but it does work. Been there, done that, but don't necessarily recommend it to others.!

Interesting discussion on cutting fluids. As I said earlier, odor or lack of is important to me for a peaceful married life so no paraffin - just NeatCut. For threading on the lath I use guess what - Neatcut and for tapping I have a tin of Rocol RTD tapping compound which is really excellent.
Mike

For more than fifty years I have used Tapmatic and have been very pleased with it.

WD-40 in the spray cans works for cutting 3/4"/20mm aluminum plate with a portable circular saw with a carbide blade, very noisy, requires hearing protection, face mask and something to keep the chips out of the back of your neck as you're cutting, and a second person similarly equip using the WD-40, but it does work. Been there, done that, but don't necessarily recommend it to others.!
I have large can of WD-40 in my shop today and may buy can every 10 years. But do use for turning or drilling. I only use on bandsaw it outside in building by it self let wind blow . I think try every thing for bandsawing.
The best was flood with dark cutting oil. But down side it is messy all over shop no bugs or mice. Next was water type coolant. Bugs like it.
The wax stick costly too.
The good news for me we did not weld aluminum it could dripping with oil or wax .

I did read the paper on neatcut.
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...D37B6958025779600300795/$File/Neatcut 611.pdf
I still would have to clean before welding. All my saws dry even had flood.

Good news I am retired so only one i need to please is my wife.

Dave

For more than fifty years I have used Tapmatic and have been very pleased with it.
I have used it in past I like it when dating but did not like the price. The crew got dark oil.

Dave

I dislike the smell of WD-40, until it starts to smoke, then it reminds me of cherry flavored pipe tobacco, which I do like (even though I don't smoke anything) :)

I've read some old-time machinists swear by bacon grease. Never tried it myself; has anyone here tried it?
Bacon grease instead of a condom? Never tried it. HOwever, I used to know a guy who had kidnapped someone, tied him to a tree in the forest, put some bacon on him, apparently as a lure for b ears, but the guy tied up got loose and called the cops. Hmm. I like bacon grease sometimes to use to pop popcorn. Like the flavor.

I recall that lard used to be universally used as a cutting oil. Its major downside was its tendency to turn rancid in warm weather. Lard was also used as a cylinder lubricant in very early steam engines. That must have been an annoying mess, though....

I also workt for a guy for a month once before getting fired. He insisted on using cooking oil for coolant on the mill. Well, surprized as I was, I was willing to try it . . . for about 30 seconds . . . untill I saw how it had hardened and gooed up the mill body and table. A total mess. I couldn't believe the owner couldn't see what it was doing with his own eyes but not being a machinist, it didn't matter to him. It was cheap to him and that was all that mattereed. three weeks passed and the welding room being located in the next room, the wind came up and all the welding fumes came into my section and made me very ill. I took the next day off, a Friday, Monday I was still ill but went back to work anyway. I arrived at work, all my tools were in one place, I had been fired. When I asked why, the owner said he already had one man out because of something (illness, broken parts? I never found out) and he didn't want to pay for someone else (me) being sick. Hmmph.

I do not recommend vegetable oil not unless it is the famous . . . the Black Vegetable. With all the vegetable oils out there, one might thimpfk at least one might be OK, but I doubt it. Animal oils and fats undoubtedly work better. As for my self, I don't bother because someone else has tested and created great oils for just about every oiling purpose. For the moment, reinventing the oil isn't worth the time--however, I did invent a new wheel, it's square, works great. I'm selling them.

Here my clear cutting oil read for uses.
I use small bottles as less to clean up if spilled. Also can of lead free lube or lead substitute

Dave
20231218_144426.jpg

Back