Cutting oils What do you use?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The clear cutting is from Home Depot come 1 gal

Dave

Here is photo of cleat and dark cutting oil. Note Clear smells better
20240102_142836.jpg

A lot of time we use Isopropyl alcohol in a drip squeeze bottle. It has zero irritating fumes and leaves zero residue. I only use it on light cuts but it seems to work ok. Now I use it in my home garage machine shop just so I don't get smoke fumes traveling into the house. Because I here it from the family when they do. Go ahead at search it up on the internet an you will find more information about using it. I was also wondering if anyone else has or heard or used it?
Stefan.G on Youtube uses isopropyl alcohol & did a demo cutting aluminum. I tried it myself & it does work, nicer finish. My only thing is its very thin viscosity (2.8 cP vs water at 1.0) so you have to kind of babysit its application or it just runs away. I tend to like oils more & fore sure when tapping. WD-40 & the aluminum cutting fluids work well for preventing tool sticking/buildup but the fumes give me flush face. On that note I did find when I was doing a bunch of aluminum work it paid to have a small fan pushing air/fumes away.

Stefan.G on Youtube uses isopropyl alcohol & did a demo cutting aluminum. I tried it myself & it does work, nicer finish. My only thing is its very thin viscosity (2.8 cP vs water at 1.0) so you have to kind of babysit its application or it just runs away. I tend to like oils more & fore sure when tapping. WD-40 & the aluminum cutting fluids work well for preventing tool sticking/buildup but the fumes give me flush face. On that note I did find when I was doing a bunch of aluminum work it paid to have a small fan pushing air/fumes away.
I use mostly clear oil in my shop.
It stay on the aluminum and steel better than WD-40 and lower smoke too.
If working at someone else shop WD-40 is great or what every they buy they are paying the bill.

Dave

Latest posts

Back