Cutting oils What do you use?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This what use it is low odor and my wife likes it too.
Better it is low cost and at local lumber yard.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...r-Pipe-Cutting-Dies-Threading-70835/202826988
Dave
Non ferrous metals I use kerosene (paraffin) and or WD40,
for Ferrous metals I went back to high sulfur Pipe Threading Oil.
When I was in the trade I did not like the synthetic pipe threading oil.
The cutting dies for cutting H.W. conduit (Electrical conduit) did not hold up that well using a power threader with the synthetic. But that was over 10 years ago, they may have improved it since then who knows ?
Keeps us inform on how it works for you I would love to stop using the high sulfur type.

The cutting dies for cutting H.W. conduit (Electrical conduit) did not hold up that well using a power threader with the synthetic. But that was over 10 years ago, they may have improved it since then who knows ?
Keeps us inform on how it works for you I would love to stop using the high sulfur type.
I did not use for cutting pipe.
I have a very small can of dark cutting oil for that day.

Works great but my wife does not like the small of dark cutting oil. So only used for thread cutting pipe.

Dave

I have heard several people on machining/modeling forums say they stopped using WD40 as a coolant because the fumes made them ill.

I use the Rigid cutting oil also.

1702418493965.png
I use this oil for steel and WD40 for aluminium
The oil is used on the mill and is recycled, it is expensive

Works great but my wife does not like the small of dark cutting oil. So only used for thread cutting pipe.

Dave

Before I was married I did use a lot of dark cutting.
After the best smelling works is best for my hobby.

Dave

When I did my apprenticeship and spent time on large mills and lathes my clothes had a very unpleasant odour of "soap water" cutting fluid. Not nice. When I started making engines and purchased my first Myford I vowed to only use cutting oil with low odour. The oil also must not leave any deposit if left on the beds.
I have always used Neatcut cutting oil for everything. Maybe not ideal but I have a 10Ltr tank, oil pump and filter and it works. OK I am not taking large cuts and if the surface finish is not great I back off or increase the oil flow. It works for me and has no smell! My last supply came from Warco
Mike
1702473104761.png

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...r-Pipe-Cutting-Dies-Threading-70835/202826988
Dave

Dave

Some time ago, someone told me that raw crude oil was a good machining cutting oil.
Long story short, I have a gallon of Bakken crude I use SPARINGLY!!! Yes, it is good, but it smells to
high Heaven!!! I believe someone told me it is because of the Sulphur in the oil.
When I'm not using it, I keep it in a closed/sealed container to keep the smell down.

Dave
SmithDoor “I'm not explaining myself right when I posted about using dark cutting oil let me try again. If using synthetic cutting oil did not hold up as long in cutting pipe threads as did the dark cutting oil. Then I figured that using synthetic cutting oil for lubricant for cutting on the lathe would fare no better. I was not thinking you were cutting pipe threads.

How long have you been using Nu-Clear if you don't mind me asking. It would be pleasant to have a low odor lubricant for cutting on the lathe.

There is a low odor kerosene that I use, it is also sold at home depot it is called Klean Heat Kerosene. It contains less sulfur and aromatics, so it has a very mild to no kerosene odor.

I purchased one of those Chinese mist coolant things a while back. It uses very little oil, and so makes much less mess and produces far less fumes. Of course, you need a compressor to run it, but it only takes a couple of PSI (I set mine as low as the cheap HF regulator will go). A soda bottle of oil lasts me nearly a year.

I use Mobilcut 100 which I get from work, where they buy it in bulk.

I purchased one of those Chinese mist coolant things a while back. It uses very little oil, and so makes much less mess and produces far less fumes. Of course, you need a compressor to run it, but it only takes a couple of PSI (I set mine as low as the cheap HF regulator will go). A soda bottle of oil lasts me nearly a year.

I use Mobilcut 100 which I get from work, where they buy it in bulk.
For threading aluminum and even some machining, Relton A-9, your wife might even like the smell though it would be fairly expensive.

Morris' Cora B neat cutting oil, diluted 1:1 with paraffin (kerosene) for most steel and aluminium. Rocol RTD for reaming, tapping and drilling, and I have also used it successfully on soft, gummy aluminium castings.

The old A J Reeves sold a neat cutting oil called 'Cutmax' which was good stuff, but I don't know where it came from. I once had a small drum of shell Garia H, as recommended by GH Thomas, which was also good, but I don't think the current version is available in small quantities.

Try this from old timers in 1960's. The best to brush on white lead in oil 🛢.
Never try white lead.

Dave

I have heard several people on machining/modeling forums say they stopped using WD40 as a coolant because the fumes made them ill.

I use the Rigid cutting oil also.

My experience with cutting oils is that anything that fumes gets very close to giving me asthma. I try v ery hard to not get fumes as I do not have a fume extractor. I also found that when I bought actual oil cutting it workt great with less fuming ;. Before that I used anything that happened to be around

My experience with cutting oils is that anything that fumes gets very close to giving me asthma. I try v ery hard to not get fumes as I do not have a fume extractor. I also found that when I bought actual oil cutting it workt great with less fuming ;. Before that I used anything that happened to be around
Most turn or milling does not need oil. Threading and tapping does need oil but no smoke.

Dave

Application of oil I have used
1) dip stick
2) dip cutter in oil
3) oil lub dripper
4) Mist
5) flood
6) solder brush
7) ½" or ¾" paint brush

I found the paint brush work the best on shank of drill bit.
This would self feed oil to drill tip.
I stop using oil because it hard to clean off for painting and welding in large quantities.

Had no choice with tapping and threading. The brush worked great for tapping and threading.

Dave

Most turn or milling does not need oil. Threading and tapping does need oil but no smoke.

Dave

Dave

Dave

Latest posts

Back