Craftsman 109 Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, there is a 4 jaw chuck that came with it, but I cannot get the 3 jaw off the spindle.
The previous owner replaced the shaft and bearings and installed the 3-jaw.
Wondering about the conditions of the threads.
Any wisdom on removing the 3 jaw?
When I bought it, he said it spun within 'half a thou'...its more like .018"
Disappointing.
-Luke

Got the 3 jaw off. The four jaw is not the right thread, and someone buggered them up badly.
Not happy with this machine at all. I'm hoping it is set-up/tune up/learn to use it issues.
Can these things really produce light duty accurate parts?
I tried to fillister a 1/4-20 brass screw to replicate some antique hardware...it took quite awhile,
and the result was marginal. Chuck kept loosening, I stopped it twice with the bit,
and only 'scraping' can be achieved...not what I would call CUTTING. LOL

Hopefully some 109 owners can chime in and lend a hand. I've read that some say they are cute, some say a boat anchor...
at this point...mine is a cute boat anchor. ;)

Got the 3 jaw off. The four jaw is not the right thread, and someone buggered them up badly.
Not happy with this machine at all. I'm hoping it is set-up/tune up/learn to use it issues.
Can these things really produce light duty accurate parts?
I tried to fillister a 1/4-20 brass screw to replicate some antique hardware...it took quite awhile,
and the result was marginal. Chuck kept loosening, I stopped it twice with the bit,
and only 'scraping' can be achieved...not what I would call CUTTING. LOL

Hopefully some 109 owners can chime in and lend a hand. I've read that some say they are cute, some say a boat anchor...
at this point...mine is a cute boat anchor. ;)

This is probably an obvious question but is the spindle rotating in the right direction. The chuck really shouldn't loosen while turning. Beyond that tooling for brass needs to be sharpened correctly.

This is probably an obvious question but is the spindle rotating in the right direction. The chuck really shouldn't loosen while turning. Beyond that tooling for brass needs to be sharpened correctly.

No question is too obvious...it seems to be turning counter-clockwise, or anti-clockwise as they say across the pond...
but I will certainly check this out tonight.
;)

well, the 109 was my first lathe (worn out ebay purchase), i really didnt care for it much. as for good looking cuts with it, my problem was that darn lantern tool post. never could get a bit at the right height. once i replaced it with a used regular old square tool post (not even qucik change) and put some shims under my bit i started getting a decent finish.

all that said, i am still very much a newbie and have had my at750 combo now for a couple of years and loving it.

good luck with your 109, i like the mods you have done so far.

Added this today...

The small stock knob was cumbersome and made my fingers ache.
I took a generic spinner knob and another old lathe handle, and modified everything to work.

Getting much better results out of the 109. tightening up nice.
Learning too...

;)

thread knob.jpg

Started building my radius/ball turner...
not sure how it will work, but I'll post pics and results here.

I started with an extra 109 compound swivel...

109 base.jpg

Drilled and countersunk to attach to the base...

The lower portion supports the inner bearing race, the outer will move freely when attached.

radius base 2.jpg

Here is the bearing dropped in place...
next up to build is the top cap.

IMAG1315.jpg

Are you available to make parts for projects I am building?

Are you available to make parts for projects I am building?

Honestly, not used to my machine yet...still learning.
I wouldn't feel comfortable working on anything outside my little projects.
;)

Greetings....

New to the forum...new to 109 Lathes...ready to jump in with like-minded people and learn more.

Picking up a 109 next week. Ready to do modifications, and explore her limitations.

-Luke

I have one of those, the 3/4 spindle thread mod so a Taig chuck can be used was well worth it. It really takes patience to use the machine, good side is that does consume time away from the honey do list

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/109/spindle/adapter.html

As much complaints as there are about the humble 109 there is something about the old america manuals.

I guess clear and concise comes to mind . But there was also more useful detail.

like it would give a part number for a screw and actually describe the screw. And instead of saying gear it gives a tooth count.

today's manuals are filled with lawyer required disclaimers and safety sections.

SIEG 7 xs are decent little lathes when completed by the operator but he manuals are pretty much useless.

Tin

Latest posts

Back