Compound Condensing Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivergypsy

Reaction score
I just though I'd kick off a new post to chart the build of my latest engine.

It's a model marine compound condensing engine that was documented in Model Engineer & Electrician magazine in 1923, and the plans are now available on http://www.john-tom.com/html/SteamPlans2.html and castings from http://www.steamlaunch.com/engines/engineers.html

It's a model I've fancied doing for a while, with the wealth of original detail, and have finally taken the plunge, so I'll keep you up to date as I go :)

Dave

modelfront.jpg

modelback.jpg

engine08.jpg

looks like a great model to build :)
I will be watching, take lots of pics :big:
Pete

Looks a decent size engine though the detail will still be a bit fiddly, look forward to following your progress.

J

Dave,

What about the rest of the Great Eastern ??? ::)

If I interpret your avatar correctly that's Brunell alongside her from the BBC series.

Best Regards
Bob

Definately will be following with interest.
good look with the build , and as metalmad says, lots of photos please!

Peter

It's been a while since I last posted, so I thought I ought to show some progress :)

I've now modelled the whole engine in Solidworks (metric - so a lot of conversions to do lol), and had to correct a lot of mismatched dimensions en-route.

And, now I know it's ok, I've just ordered a nice billet of EN24T for the crankshaft, so will gets some pics and keep you posted. The only problem is that having had a bit too much of an interaction with a gas flame, I need to keep the coolant off for a while...

Ah, the pics seemed to get lost on the last post... ???

Assem1.JPG

Assem1-BACK.JPG

26-10-11 (1).JPG

Not the best move I've ever made, but gagging to get back to machining again!

That looks really painful ! Hope all heals well , Maybe you should pass on how it happened so some of us don't make the same mistake. Will follow along too. Good luck . Dale

YIKES !!! That brings back some painful memories. Hope all is OK now, will be watching

tom

Ouch!!! That made my stomach hurt. Hope you mend very quickly and get back to the important issues.

Harold

Dclark,
Man you have my sympathy for your hand, And that picture brings back a few painful memorys for myself too.

I've been waiting for Elliot Bay to produce a set of castings for this engine for almost a year. The last email I had from them was they were having problems with some cores. I'm certainly happy that they want to sell proper castings, But this engine seems like it's a pretty low priority for them. Since your reworking this engine would you be willing to sell a set of your drawings?

Pete

I've had a report that the last picture was "a bit gruesome"....Agreed.
It's damn gruesome!

However, it points to the fact that what we do can be dangerous. I think if it makes you all think about things "just one more time" before you do it, and that prevents same from happening to one other person.....it is worth it to leave it just as it is.

A moments lapse is not a measure of or lack of intellect. It's a human condition. We all have done it...it happens.

I respect and value the opinion of those here...but I'm glad it got your attention.

I think there are a few far more gruesome photo's in the safety section posted by none other than Rick....put up for the same purpose as I recall.

FOCUS.....THINK...and perhaps remember!

Safety is an Attitude!

Dave

Steamer,
I'm reading between the lines, But I hope whoever "reported" that picture didn't want it removed. I've sat thru lots of industrial safety films that were not designed to be gentle to whoever they were shown to. This stuff does and can happen to anyone. I've seen far worse that looked real on television and movies. Personaly I'd say that picture was a good object lesson for everybody. I've seen a few industrial accidents that were a lot worse, And that's not a pretty sight either.

Pete

I'm reading between the lines, But I hope whoever "reported" that picture didn't want it removed. I've sat thru lots of industrial safety films that were not designed to be gentle to whoever they were shown to. This stuff does and can happen to anyone. I've seen far worse that looked real on television and movies. Personaly I'd say that picture was a good object lesson for everybody. I've seen a few industrial accidents that were a lot worse, And that's not a pretty sight either.

YUP!

Sorry if I did offend anybody with the picture - not my intention at all. Just to show how an easy slip and put you out of action - a month of no machining or cycling... :(

Pete - I can't sell the drawings as the originals were a free download from the Jon-Tom(?) website - I only modelled and corrected them. But, I have all the models in SW2011 format, and am producing 2D dimensioned drawings as I go, and you've more than welcome to either the SW files (or any other format), or the drawings as they are done, free of charge. Just let me have your email address and what you need.

The Elliot Bay castings - I've been emailing them for ages now, and haven't got a single reply from them - not impressed. What I've been pondering is fabricating the parts - either welded or barzed assemblies. Has anyone tried this approach on this engine?

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

No worries at all...I hope that heals quickly!..if that was me it would be many months...Burns heal slow on me.

Dave

I'm hoping that seeing a picture of a hand in that condition gives me a sharp reminder to be safe so I never see my own in that shape. Not offensive at all.Looks to be healing well and hope it's back up to speed for you soon.

Ray

Thanks to everybody for the good wishes - I'm aiming for a nice big pile of blue swarf to start piling up on Monday ;D

Latest posts

Back