Merryweather Fire King - a novice build

Help Support HMEM:

Chris W

Reaction score
The Eppleton Hall was the Tug that my family members operated. She was sailed over to USA after being restored. Went through the Panama canal ending up in San Francisco in the maritime museum. I visited her there - quite an emotional time for me. She is now derelict once again as I understand. The museum was taken over by National Park System that did not have the finances to maintain her
I had the opportunity to steam aboard Eppleton Hall in 1975. It was quite an experience! The politics at the Museum are a problem when it comes to Eppie. She really should be back on the Tyne where she has true historic significance. I recently saw a film of tugs working taken in 1962 and there was Eppie steaming merrily along.

goldstar31

Reaction score
I'm saddened by the possible end of the old boat. I didn't live on the coast, rather the extreme end of the tide reach off the Tyne. The Kissing Stone;).

Last edited:

Steamchick

Reaction score
The Eppleton Hall was the Tug that my family members operated. She was sailed over to USA after being restored. Went through the Panama canal ending up in San Francisco in the maritime museum. I visited her there - quite an emotional time for me. She is now derelict once again as I understand. The museum was taken over by National Park System that did not have the finances to maintain her
Seen it, done it - a decade or more ago...
K2

goldstar31

Reaction score
Totally off-topic, but fascinating reading. Keep it up.

Bob 🙂
So there is the story of the two Tyne Tugs 'going to was' in Norway to bring home to her birthplace HMS Kelly. And then KG5 'sneaked out' unfinished to finish off ' and 'Sink the Bismarck'

a41capt

Reaction score

Latest posts