Coming along nicely

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If by "spirits" you mean methyl alcohol, it will entrain water from the air if left in an open container

R

I must remember to always put the cover back on so thanks

Try warming the engine before you actually fire it up with either a hot air blower or hair drier, it should start easier and the moisture in the air is less likely to condense out onto the cold metal.

Jason

HEY HEY
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Here we go my first fame licker I managed to get it running today I gave the cylinder bore a quick polish with some fine diamond paste mixed with WD40 on a piece of paper, wrapped around a wooden dowel.After this i checked still had good compression but was turning beautifully. I also put back in the original cam that i made ???.It took me a long time to get the spring tension correct but when i did o boy, I was'nt expecting such Ooomph!
Thanks everybody for all your encouragement and advice it was greatly appreciated .
Regards Jamie

Congratulations!

Looks and sounds awesome

Randel

Awesome little engine Jamie, very well done. :bow: :bow: :bow: I think I'll have to put one of those on my to build list

Cheers
Steve

Yeah another runner!

Nicely done Jamie, nicely done. :bow: :bow:

Ron

Nice runner Jamie. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your work. :bow:

Cheers,
Phil

Beautiful work sir. Fascinating technology as well. Modern industry generates allot of heat and I am interested in harnessing it in different ways to return energy to the system. I think there is a place in the future for this technology.

Well done Fingers it is a great runner and looks good :bow:

Rob ........

Beautiful engine! A running flame sucker is always a great accomplishment.

Chuck

Awesome Job!!!

These engines can be a challenge, you have done a great job on getting it running!

Well Done Thm:

Kel

Hi everyone I am chuffed by all of your comments and kind remarks,
May I say a big Thank You to everyone here at HMEM who helped along the way either by encouragement or answering my questions and giving me advice.
This little flame licker was my first and I'm sure it won't be the last I love the sound ;). I know that I made some wrong choices along the way. Foremost probably being the choice of brass for my cylinder, as now I am sure from what I have learned from others that it probably won't last as long as CI but for now I am happy while it runs ;D, secondly I made the error of not choosing rust free steel as recommended for the cylinder valve that is exposed to the flame, That was something that just slipped my mind, for now it is ok. Other then that I can say my biggest problem was just trying to get it to run, between the timing, which I taught I was doing wrong. Then there was the spring tension which as it turns out is very critical. Also when setting the valve to cover the hole at top dead center you must leave the very smallest of a gap just a couple of thou as recommended on Jans website . Now its just left to finish my base.
Cheers Jamie
If I can find my proper camera and not my phone I will try post a better video.
Jamie.......

Jamie, well done - it runs superbly. :bow:

It is the first one of this type I've seen except for Jans and the one on his site. It goes at a fair rate. Now you have a feel for everything the next should be easier. I love them too, that's why I started making poppin straight after my success with the other.

Nick

Thanks Nick, It is the only time I have seen one aswel hence the reason why I chose this design, something a little different mind you I have never even saw any flame kicker before except on the Internet

Finger lickin good, (as the colonel would say)

Congratulations. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

It works on vacuum Pat, the hot air drawn in as the piston moves down, cools, contracts and creates a vacuum because the valve is now closed, this returns the piston to TDC and the cycle repeats. doesn't it? Fingers? :D

Latest posts

Back