Coming along nicely

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
My half built flame eater waiting for me to finish.
photo.jpg
photo-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Cleaning and polishing will follow later

Nice chunky flywheel!

I like the finish you're getting on your chassis parts there Fred. For a shine like that I use a flycutter and then a quick attack of the polishing wheel.

Looks good, is it your own design?

IronHorse

No lads not my design I got my plans of Jan ridders, thanks for the comment on the finish on the Chassis parts I just used a standard fly cutter with the head on the mill clocked for squareness

Looks great fingers, looking forward to this as I haven't seen one of this sort.

Nick

Thanks I should have some more pictures to add tomorrow, I'm looking forward to getting it all finished

Made good progress yesterday nearly finished my lathe work now just some milling and fitting left, here are a few more pics
J
photo-11.jpg

photo-9.jpg

Hi just another update i will try get the top of my cylinder and the shafts to start assembling it made later.
photo-12.jpg

Very impressive fingers . Looking forward to seeing it finished :bow:

Rob....

Looks great Fingers,

It looks a really solid design as Jan's usually do, looks a bit of a beast actually, could you remind us of the size of it? / Bore, stroke etc?

Thanks

Nick

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, the cylinder is 79mm with a 24mm x 36mm piston and a stroke of 40mm. I finished assembling all my parts Just need to a few more pieces, the springs being my downfall as I cannot get any spring steel handy, I wonder if I could use a 1/16 welding rod it's just a straight spring with one loop ?

Very nice work, I got the plans for this from Jan a while back but have yet to decide whether to attempt it or not ...

I'll be watching your progress!

Vic.

Thanks pat il have to keep scavenging something will turn up, il let ye know what I find. Will try and get some more done today fingers crossed. Il have some new pictures aswel if you do decide to make it omnimill any questions I can help you with just ask .
Regards j

Really is getting close to trying my first run, just 2 little springs holing me up, not to worry wont be long.
photo-13.jpg

Hi just wondering if anybody knows do I need to balance this flywheel? Also when I spin it by hand now the way it is, it dose about 12 revolutions is this free enough. I do not have the valve attached yet.
Regards j

Lovely work, Fingers. From your descripton, it sounds like the engine spins over freely enough. Of course, the next question is, how is the fit between the piston and the cylinder? I wouldn't worry about balancing the flywheel at this point. These engines don't typically turn over fast enough for vibration to be a problem.

Chuck

Thanks chuck
Well if I cover the slot in the cylinder with my tumb it won't turn over even with plenty force so I'm pretty confident the fit is good, at least untill the brass wears out. If I get it to run I will strip it all down and champher all my edges and a good polish, I was even picking some timber for a base today I got a slice of rose wood about 1" thick with bark still on I'm thinking of varnishing it all up for a base, or should I just put it on some plained teak ?
Regards j
photo-16.jpg

photo-15.jpg

Please bear in mind i only cut it with chainsaw today so it will look better when thinned and sanded, or is it silly.

Back