chip/ machine concern

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
I am working with my cnc taig mill, running taigs 140t slitting saw on brass tube.
likely will be cutting hundreds of these parts and I am concerned about the very fine chips or dust and its potential impact on my machine. the taig does have a rubber apron for the front and rear screw and I taped up a plastic bag on the z axis but I am guessing with the fine dust like characteristic of the chips they likely can make there way behind this protection and become a lapping compound.

am I being to worried?

plan B is to buy a metal bandsaw and cut the parts on that prior to the next operation.

Lay a cloth dampened with a light oil over the carriage ways, will collect all the shavings, use this on my lathe when cutting cast iron

Cheers

Aluminum foil. Conforms to ways, etc so it stays where it's put, wraps up for disposal, and if by chance it gets caught in the works, it tears and isn't a safety hazard. With CI, you can also wrap a few small magnets in the foil for even better collection and dust control - as long as you don't get too close to other ferrous objects, anyway.

good ideas! I can work with them temporarily while I search for a metal bandsaw I think I then can retire the old hacksaw and become more productive :)
thanks for the help!

I recently retired my power hacksaw because it was too slow, and because I don't have much room I needed a benchtop metal cutting bandsaw.

So I invested in one similar to this.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-model-engineer-series-ue-127dv1-bandsaw-505214

A little costly, but it can cut anything I want to very accurately, even 2" square steel bar, which I have a fairly big store of.
It can cut large lumps or tiny very efficiently. The largest yet was 3" diameter brass bar when a friend came round for some for a job he is doing, it just went through like it was butter, and perfectly straight with the metal cutting blade that came with it, it will cut even better when I fit a bi-metallic one.

Hope this helps.

John

John, yes I originally wanted one of those! but seems like I can get a full-size bandsaw for the same price or cheaper used.
lots of the metal suppliers around here have a few little ones for walk in orders and they work fast!

Latest posts

Back