Chevy V8 Scale Engine Plane

Discussion in 'Plans' started by TrashCo, Jan 23, 2014.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Oct 28, 2019 #141

Cogsy

Cogsy

Cogsy

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Moderator

Lower than center on a parting tool is not the recommended way to set it up. If your parting tool isn't sticking out much then bang on center is best but if you've got a bit sticking out then slightly (very slightly) high will account for some flex in the blade and get you back to center. If you're a bit too low you run the risk of the part riding up over the blade as you get to the center and potentially wrecking the part and the blade/insert.

2. Oct 28, 2019 #142

davidyat

davidyat

davidyat

Well-Known Member HMEM Lifetime Supporter

Retired/Self Taught Machinist
    Thanks for the advice. Most of my parting is on soft metal, brass, aluminum, etc. Yes there is a slight nub after parting, but I'm cutting the part a little bigger than I need it and mill it down to what I want with a fly cutter on both sides. If I'm doing multiple pieces, I face off the round I'm working on for the next piece, zero out the parting tool and take it to the dimension I want. Most of the time, by the time the parting tool gets close to center, the nub is so small that the weight of the part causes it to just fall off. But, again, thanks for all the advice. I never want to stop learning.
    Grasshopper