Chevy V8 Scale Engine Plane

Discussion in 'Plans' started by TrashCo, Jan 23, 2014.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. May 20, 2019 #101

retailer

retailer

retailer

Apart from the bore and stroke being copied from the PeeWee V4 my plans are not really based on any particular engine, the crank layout and firing order are the same as a small block chev but then there's probably many engines out there that follow the same firing order, while I call it my own design, you could say that word design is used rather loosely as I can see many many images of V8 engines on the internet and then it's just a matter of scaling it down and juggling dimensions and clearances to get it to fit, once I have a part drawn I print it full size so I can get an idea of what it will look like in real life, so I guess you could it is just copying.

I'm drawing it up in autocad and also modelling it in fusion360 mainly to get practice at 3d modelling, I've been using autocad for around 10 yrs and feel quite comfortable with it and even though I know I don't use all the features offered I can get by and produce reasonable drawings. Fusion360 is new to me since last xmas and is something I would like to get better at.

2. May 20, 2019 #102

doc1955

doc1955

doc1955

Gone

Retired Former Tool Design Engineer
    Yes I like to have things modeled up before building anything. I like to check fits and stuff first.

3. May 20, 2019 #103

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

Retired Electrical Engineer
    Saves on making liners. ;)

4. May 20, 2019 #104

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

Spent a bunch of time sizing stock and screwing up the dimensions of the main bearing caps. Why is it I screw up on the simple things like cutting these steps? Both sides went too far to the center and the right side excessively so. I was using a vise stop so I screwed up all three. Not paying enough attention I guess. Will try again today.

IMG_20190520_081302.jpg

5. May 22, 2019 #105

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

Got the main bearing caps done yesterday. Don't have the right length cap screws so ordered them from McMaster. Bored the cylinders to size today, at least the first diameter. Have to do three more operations on each cylinder, two more bores stepped plus a relief for the water jackets. Tedious and unrewarding work since it is merely refining a feature I already made.

6. Jun 8, 2019 #106

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

Finished the block except for the crank and cam bores. Working on the oil pan. Screwed up the first attempt at the pan and working on the second. I don't have any long LOC end mills so ordered some. Can't finish the pan until they arrive. I tried using short LOC mills for the inside of the pan and they rub messing up the finish. Not a problem on the inside but not the look I want on the outside. In the meantime, I made the valve covers.

IMG_20190608_145410.jpg

I'm debating whether to start on the crankshaft or the heads next. I'm going to need some help and suggestions on the crank since I have not made a single piece crank before. Any input or links to crank builds would be appreciated.

burkLane likes this.
  7. Jun 10, 2019 #107

gbritnell

gbritnell

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!! Project of the Month Winner

8. Jun 11, 2019 #108

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

Got started on one of the heads. Figured I'd do one complete which will probably wind up as a practice run. Here it is with the head bolt holes drilled and countersunk, and the pushrod holes. The plans show a standard 5.5:1 compression ratio with an option for 8:1. Is there an advantage of one over the other? I know that higher comression typically results in higher power output but this is a working display model.

IMG_20190610_164605.jpg

9. Jun 11, 2019 #109

stevehuckss396

stevehuckss396

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer HMEM Supporter

Construction
    The higher compression ratio will give more power. It will also put more stress on the pistons, wrist pins, rods, and crankshaft. It will also affect the ability of the engine to idle down. I built the prototype Demon with the 5.5:1 ratio because it is a display and will never do any real work.

10. Jun 11, 2019 #110

retailer

retailer

retailer

You look to be getting on with it at a good pace, I'm still working on the block and crankshaft and have not yet finished the head drawings - I checked out the crankshaft building posts made by gbritnell, well worth a look, he does some really good work - much better than I'll ever be.

11. Jun 11, 2019 #111

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

SailplaneDriver

I keep getting stalled with either lack of material or tooling. I just got the long LOC end mills I ordered so I can try and finish up the oil pan and get the block bored for the cam and crank. I looked at gbritnell link. I think he's forgotten more than I know about this stuff - and his work is first rate.