I made a 4-40 plug out of 6061, threaded the hole, flushed it with acetone and let it dry. I screwed in the plug tight after applying Loctite 603 (green stuff). Waiting for it to dry so I can mill the surface flush and drill the new hole. It takes 24 hours to get to 50% strength in aluminum so I will need to wait a day or two before I can drill the new hole.
Scared the bejesus out of myself. I was decking the bottom and shooting for the 2.200 width on the drawing. I stopped with what I thought was quite a bit to go when I realized that the 2.200 measurement was after the sides were milled. I popped the block off the mill and took it to the surface plate to find I had only .009 extra left. Damn near ruined it. I finished decking the bottom and started setting up to mill out the crank clearnce pockets. I kept making stupid mistakes just setting it up. Too tired or something so I called it a day rather than screw something up.
Always like to see lessons I've seen in the past to remind me. If something doesn't seem right, sounds wrong, hearing noises you don't like or you get a funny feeling, STOP!!! When I was learning auto mechanics 60 years ago, my mentor taught me a valuable lesson. If you're working on an engine and you get to the point where you're staring at your work with a ball peen hammer in your hand, put the hammer down, close the garage door and go have a beer. After the beer, if you pick up the ball peen hammer again, put it down, and go have another beer. Every time this worked. At some point, I figured out what I was doing wrong and didn't damage the project beating the heck out of it with the ball peen hammer. And, yes, I didn't go back to the project until I sobered up!
I was working on the third of the four bottom crank relief areas when I noticed a slight movement. Fortunately I was cleaning up the inside of the relief so no issues. My clamping had started to loosen on one side. I don't have Steve's fancy vise jaws and had a rather tenuous clamp arrangement. So I cleaned up for the day. Have to take the wife back east for a doctor visit with a specialist tomorrow and will be gone for a few days.
Got back from our medical excursoin yesterday. Got great news from the docs - my wife's brain tumor has shrunk as a result of the medications they are giving her. Made for a happy trip.
Finally got motivated enough this afternoon to get back to work on the block. Finished milling out the four crank relief areas and the oil pockets. Tomorrow I start drilling and tapping a bucket load of holes.
Your work looks pretty good so far - Steve Huck's plans I hear are very well done - I'm sure your engine will turn out a success there is already quite a few running examples out there.
I'm also attempting to build a running V8 but am working from my own plans, I have made a start and I'm trying to keep the plans one or two steps ahead of the construction but I'm finding that the machining seems to take less time than the drawing up of the plans
I know what you mean, retailer. I've been modeling the Li'l Demon in Fusion 360. I frequently could do the machining faster than the modelling but it helps me understand the parts and hopefully keeps me from making too many mistakes. I also find that setting up and holding the part frequently take much more time than machining.