Calculating stroke

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullpeters

Reaction score
My IC engine. I am at the con rod stage. Well, there are some other bits i could do but i am stuck, so i will start the conrod and hope i become unstuck in time. My bore is 25mm, i have 32mm available between top of piston and top of head. Thats without the skirt poking out. I could probably get a couple more mm if i had to. So, 8 times 4 is 32. So if my piston travels 32mm and leaves a 4mm space would that be 8:1 compression??? I dont think its that simple and cant find any simple explanation.
Will i am at it, i plan to make the con rod long enought not to touch the side of cylinder. That simple??
Conrod made of bright mild steel? Ok?
I really appreciate all the help
Mick

Compression ratio is the volume of the cylinder + the volume left in the head at bottom dead center divided the volume of the same at TDC. Connecting rod length will not change this as it is controlled by the throw of the crankshaft, called the "stroke" most of the time. The throw on the crankshaft is the distance between crank center and crank pin.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Compression ratio is the volume of the cylinder + the volume left in the head at bottom dead center divided the volume of the same at TDC. Connecting rod length will not change this as it is controlled by the throw of the crankshaft, called the "stroke" most of the time. The throw on the crankshaft is the distance between crank center and crank pin.

You forgot to advise multiply throw by 2 to obtain the stroke.

Emgee

Yes I did. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Back