Boring tool holder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe d

Reaction score
For my vertical single build, I need to bore the cylinders on my mill, as the cylinder casting is simply too far out of balance to try on my Taig lathe. This of course means that i need a boring tool holder for the mill. Since buying one would just be too easy, I decided to try my hand at building one from the plans posted a while back http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1288.msg9277#msg9277
(I know there's some sexy way to turn that url into the word "here", I just don't know it!)

Right off the top, I had to modify the plan to replace the shaft with a tapped hole to fit the spindle on my taig mill.

Boring mounting hole with shop-made boring tool holder on lathe
100_0852.jpg

tapping 3/4-16 to fit taig spindle
100_0853.jpg

sideplate milled & attached for milling of dovetail
100_0856.jpg

Joe

Continued.....

Since the adjusting screw is steel, and I elected to mill the body out of ali instead of steel as called out in the print, I decided to add some brass bushings

Turning bushing in three-jaw, with slight recess turned in the jaws to hold the workpiece
100_0857.jpg

Loctite is my friend... stuck in place, bored, milled, and tool holder being test-fitted
100_0862.jpg

all the bits ready for final assy
100_0868.jpg

and here it is, ready to go!
100_0871.jpg

I'll let you guys know how it works.....

Joe

I realy injoyd your post.
you also put a smile on my face with this
(I know there's some sexy way to turn that url into the word "here", I just don't know it!)
:big: :big: :big:
someone post how you do that, I never knew how.

Easy to post a url as a word

click the insert hyperlink button... 4th from the left

Code:
[url][/url]

Then add a few things:

Code:
[url=yoururlhere]word[/url]

or in your case:

Code:
[url=http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1288.msg9277#msg9277]Boring tool[/url]

and you get this:

Boring tool

Eric

Latest posts

Back