Be silent or protest...in Forum !!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Silent or protest when you see inaccurate or wrong information and comments....?
Personally, I am less and less interested in protesting against inaccurate or wrong information and comments. - like: Whatever.
How about you ?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I respect that other's opinions may differ from mine, and that is normal and ok.
Agree to disagree.

One does not have to be confrontational about information; if someone sees something that they believe is incorrect, it is a simple matter to just state "My understanding of XYZ topic is this........................", and people can decide for themselves how to take your information, and contrast that with the information provided by others.

The idea here on this forum is to provide a place for hobby folks to contribute their work, help others when possible, and all with the intent of advancing the hobby for all.

I would question anyone's motives if they are posting things that are combative or confrontational, because that is not helpful, and definitely does not advance the hobby. Posting things just to agitate others is counterproductive to what this forum is about.

We should be finding common ground, and shared experiences that bring us together.
We should avoid wedge topics that drive us apart and weaken the group cohesion.

There are always at least two ways to state anything.
I try to stay neutral, be diplomatic, polite, tactful, and be respectful; that is what makes a good forum with active and involved members who help each other.

Last edited:
If I am getting upset about something "false" for fact or in my view ( sometimes can be blurry, a misunderstanding or I am plain wrong ), I try to stay silent. :cool:Me beeing upset does not make it easy to stay "neutral, diplomatic, polite and respectful". So I try my best to "shut up and bear with it".
In the rare cases were I can sense my "long explanation" is not red or understood, I try to let it go!

If I can correct something and I think it is useful to someone, I will comment. (still too often things go out of hands and then I wish I would have stayed quiet)
One important aspect is: will it be helpful for, not only the person I respond to, but also for the other readers.
Sometimes a question can be a good start, or citation of a neutral source. Or an explanation of the why...
A hint that there might be an alternative viewpoint is often good enough for the group to do further reseach.

You cannot argue stupid. Who is stupid? Is it foolish to convince a fool? Often not so easy to tell.
I work on my rules: "Agree to disagree"; do not get upset; calm down; do not try to make others upset, let it go.

Greetings Timo

If you stay silent then that does not help others that read and follow the incorrect information from making the same error, which does not really help them or the original poster.

Or if you see that someone is about to machine a part wrongly (size or method) speaking out can save them from scrapping a part or finding out further down the line that it was the cause of their engine not running.

Take Timo's recent post about drill rod in Brian's latest build thread. He thought a drill blank may be the same material, I pointed out what the difference was so he now knows as does anyone else reading. Should I have stayed quiet or not?

If you stay silent then that does not help others that read and follow the incorrect information from making the same error, which does not really help them or the original poster.

Or if you see that someone is about to machine a part wrongly (size or method) speaking out can save them from scrapping a part or finding out further down the line that it was the cause of their engine not running.

Take Timo's recent post about drill rod in Brian's latest build thread. He thought a drill blank may be the same material, I pointed out what the difference was so he now knows as does anyone else reading. Should I have stayed quiet or not?
Definitely not quiet in this case, as it would have been easy to "catch the wrong fish" in the internet for me. :)
"Drill blanks" ?
Learn something new every day.

Who would have thought drill rod would be so complicated?
https://www.dekmake.com/the-only-guide-to-a-drill-rod-youll-ever-need/

The drill blanks are HSS all hardened ready to be "converted into a drill" (or boring bar, dovetailcutter etc.), the price difference (to a drill) is only 20 Ct or so, so no point in making drills other than "research".

Last edited:
That link seems to combine Drill rod and Drill Rods, enough to confuse the unwary.

Regardless of the examples given.
When I recognize that someone is resistant to advice, the following applies to me.
Talking is silver, silence is golden.
Otherwise you have to waste your time on the topic.
Maybe things will change later because of physical fitness,
when your own radius of action is limited to a room with a computer.
Then perhaps avoiding boredom has priority.
Then I can deal with topics that take up time.

I think I fall squarely into the "dazed and confused" category.

Going to the Speedy Metals website, and typing in "drill rod", you get the following:

https://www.speedymetals.com/p-2973-78-rd-a-2-drill-rod.aspx

and clicking on the material link, you get:

https://www.speedymetals.com/information/material10.html

Not to be confused with "drill pipe".

Typing in "drill blanks" in McMaster-Carr gives this result, with a variety of alloys:

drill-rod-Image1.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see, I comment a lot. - Over 2000 comments: A record for me for a forum - usually nothing or a few dozen comments, but the more things like that...the more I starting to get bored......

The best cure for boredom is to build an engine and post the photos and build story here.
I am counting down the days before I can fire up the furnace again.

Not sure about boredom, I find the problem is the forums keep me out of the workshop. Still find enough time to make engines even if I mostly post about their builds elsewhere.

Pat, while you are on, your Dad got a mention in this thread if you can get to read it.
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,11817.0.html

I like it when people tell me of my errors.... I treat it as an opportunity to learn.
However, (naturally?) different use, by different nations, or groups, of a supposed "common" language can lead to emotive responses where mis-interpretations of the intended meaning, rhetoric, or humour occur. To be avoided where possible.
But on technical, or safety matters (machining, foundry work, etc....) we must all be sure to give the best advice as there are probably as many "inexperts" as experts using the site. I certainly am not expert in many subjects here, but need to learn "the best and correct way". Just because "it worked for me", it may not give the safest, or technically-best result. So corrections are more than welcome, but necessary to help those less knowledgable. Which is a great way to learn. ( Learn from others' mistakes!).
I particularly enjoy the solutions when people have problems.
But accept there may be odd occasions where "silence is golden".
Enough said,
K2

I use to post on this website regarding safety hazards. These weren't your sliver in the finger issues these transgressions were true life altering issues could happen. I no longer post my opinion simply because I am wasting my time with the, for the lack of a better term, the hobby crew. They don't want to hear it. It would appear that learning the hard way prevails here no matter how much suffering may follow due to lack of common sense.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I respect that other's opinions may differ from mine, and that is normal and ok.
Agree to disagree.

One does not have to be confrontational about information; if someone sees something that they believe is incorrect, it is a simple matter to just state "My understanding of XYZ topic is this........................", and people can decide for themselves how to take your information, and contrast that with the information provided by others.

The idea here on this forum is to provide a place for hobby folks to contribute their work, help others when possible, and all with the intent of advancing the hobby for all.

I would question anyone's motives if they are posting things that are combative or confrontational, because that is not helpful, and definitely does not advance the hobby. Posting things just to agitate others is counterproductive to what this forum is about.

We should be finding common ground, and shared experiences that bring us together.
We should avoid wedge topics that drive us apart and weaken the group cohesion.

There are always at least two ways to state anything.
I try to stay neutral, be diplomatic, polite, tactful, and be respectful; that is what makes a good forum with active and involved members who help each other.

You say it very well but you do it.....!???
One of your comments:

BAD.jpg

I don't understand your statement?!? There are a lot of DC voltages around you right now, tablets, laptops, phones... there is always DC voltage and I don't understand how you avoid it????
And then you create a new topic about PLC, programming... sensors.... And I don't understand how you program, use PLC, write PLC programs, use sensors that can eliminate DC electricity from your life.
That's very crazy to me
Why the hell do you treat DC like the plague when you need it and use it every day???

You say it very well but you do it.....!???
One of your comments:
Haha that is mean in "one of the comments" :cool:. Let me guess (without context), GreenTwin was refering to control voltage for field equipment. Coils for valves, motorized valves, small blower fans and such things. 220V or 110V. Is lower AC voltage in use?

Greetings Timo

I rarely post, mainly because i'm not knowledgeable enough. So I keep my gob shut. If I am able to help some member and I feel I am able and/or knowledgeable about said matter then I will do so.
Otherwise I just keep quiet and learn from other people with a wealth of knowledge.
regards
Paul

Latest posts

Back