Looking for others opinion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wce4

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a lot of you know I am working on USS MONITOR SIDE LEVER ENGINE Design by Bob Middleton (the imperial version) .
I made a change of the steam supply piping from the original drawing (see attached pdf drawing) to what I think looks better ( see attached jpg photo). I was wondering what other model engineers think about this change ? Am I doing wrong by changing it ? Should I make it as Bob Middleton Design it ?
MONITOR-IMPERIAL-A4-SHEET-14.jpg
DSC00091.JPG

Last edited:
Seems like a minor change to me, and I think it looks fine visually.

And I don't see a problem with freelancing your own design, even if some of it originated from other's drawings.
I see the freelancing thing all the time, such as what SBWHART did with my Dake drawings to make his own unique freelanced Dake drawings.

And as an added plug for changing it as you suggest - I find that older machine tools often varied slightly from the published manual, with changes having been implemented "between model years" as the manufacturer saw fit. So instead of an 1895 (or whatever year) model, just call it an 1895.5 ... :)

I don't see a problem, neither are like the original anyway. The Middleton one uses typical plumbing and fittings found on UK and European models, in the US the threaded pipe and fittings like you have used are the norm. Fill size would have had bolted flanges to the pipes and fittings.

I don't see a problem, neither are like the original anyway. The Middleton one uses typical plumbing and fittings found on UK and European models, in the US the threaded pipe and fittings like you have used are the norm. Fill size would have had bolted flanges to the pipes and fittings.
I was contemplating using bolted flanges but I was not sure on the diameter, thickness to make the flanges.

As you already have a flanged connection into the valve chest you could take that as your size. Or as flanges are nmade to a standard you could work back from your pipe dia and scale of the engine to see what is right, I woul dsay what you have to the chest is a bit large for that pipe.

Also a small point but the holes on 4 bolt pattern flanges should be arranged on the diaginal, that way you can get a spanner to flanges near bends or fittings. The British standard is that 2" pipe has a 6" flange, 3" pipe a 7.25 and 4" pipe 8.5", above that the bolt holes is more than 4.

As you already have a flanged connection into the valve chest you could take that as your size. Or as flanges are nmade to a standard you could work back from your pipe dia and scale of the engine to see what is right, I woul dsay what you have to the chest is a bit large for that pipe.

Also a small point but the holes on 4 bolt pattern flanges should be arranged on the diaginal, that way you can get a spanner to flanges near bends or fittings. The British standard is that 2" pipe has a 6" flange, 3" pipe a 7.25 and 4" pipe 8.5", above that the bolt holes is more than 4.
Thank you for giving me this information.

Latest posts

Back