Bazmak-Making a turret/capstan for the minilathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well 2 no cheap 10mm Jacob chucks arrived from China,so fitted to 2 blank stations.Made a no of pointy type centres and fitted to chucks and collets to check station alignment.Alas poor Yoric theres me thinking like an engineer
that after all the effort and setups that the turrets would all be in perfect alignment.2 were correct,2 were + 50 thou and 2 were -50 thou.So I had to spend a few hrs aligning. Made a new male location pin from silver steel about
10 thou bigger and proceeded to to nudge with a file until 4 were correct
The other 2 were about 1mm out so milled about 10 thou off the 2
correct female location faces. Alls well that ends well.All were within a few thou under a loupe which is near enough for now.Will now switch to the 2nd lathe thread to make a die box and tapping head. I HOPE

A chap called Mike from Tewksbury emailed me with questions about the capstan,so hopefully he will log on and become a part of this forum.In order to help him if he does i will ressurect this thread and replace the deleted photos

Barry,

I have no idea whether this is constructive but as you have a Myford ML7, some time ago a Ken Metcalf described making a capstan attachment for his ML7. I guess that it was in Model Engineer.

Clearly, I have little interest because I bought a possible capstan attachment which -- has a flat base.

The rest is one of those 'round to its'

Cheers

N

Latest posts

Back