Newbie shop - 7x12 Grizzly mini-lathe cleanup

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayanth

Reaction score
Decided that I had digressed too much from the original purpose of the 'taking the plunge' thread in Q/A forum, as I have now purchased the lathe and am in the process of cleaning it up.

To everyone who answered my endless questions in that thread and PM's, I thank you greatly.

I will chronicle the cleaning up and putting together of my lathe here, and figured I would show the workbench I ended up with based on guidance from others.

The "shop" is being limited mostly to a one-car garage which has to share room with my girlfriend's 250cc scooter, and lots of random junk that we just don't have room for in the house. Presently everything is being limited to the single 8ft x 3ft workbench:
IMG_1294.jpg

I had already begun cleaning the lathe a little a week ago, but Simple Green just wasn't cutting it, and I didn't want to spend the first year of ownership with tennis elbow from all the scrubbing. I got very little cleaned in that attempt, but I did at that point have the 3-jaw removed, and the gear case opened. I had cleaned some accessories as well.

Today I hung the light seen above, then cleaned up the workbench - amazing how Ive only had it for a week and it's so covered in junk already. Brought my laptop and Canon Rebel t1i dslr out with me, and set everything up for work.

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

The laptop was primarily to follow the minilathe 'getting started' walkthrough on mini-lathe.com, which uses the same lathe I purchased, and had some very good tips. Figured it wouldn't hurt to follow along while I worked.

There was not as much of the goop as I have seen in some pictures elsewhere, but still plenty to get through:

IMG_1287.jpg

Switching to kerosene ($5.88 a quart at walmart), I doubled up the nitrile gloves and got to work. I started off by testing the kerosene on the ways, and found it cut RIGHT through the 'chicken fat'. The tailstock was removed so that I could move the carriage further, the turret was removed to gain a little more breathing room, and once the ways were clean enough to feel comfortable moving the carriage around, the leadscrew retaining bracket on the right end was removed so the carriage would come completely off. Notice also the control panel cover has been opened up to gain access to the other end of the leadscrew as well. Care is being taken to prevent the kerosene from splashing on the electronics, and if it's noticed on any plastic it is removed immediately.

IMG_1291.jpg

The leadscrew proved to be a little more tedious to clean than I had hoped, the goop on it was not particularly thick, but well embedded in the threads.

IMG_1292.jpg

I did not have a decently stiff brush that could flex all the way around the screw, so I disengaged the thread-cutting gears, and backed off the retaining screw for the gear directly attached to the leadscrew shaft, just enough to get it to slide past the gear that drives it. This let me turn the gear, and thus the leadscrew, with one hand while vigorously brushing with the other.

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1297.jpg

At this point I went to lunch, and came back to find that my overhead light would not turn back on. It pops angrily, flickering on briefly, then goes dark... and if I leave the switch on it tries to pop/flicker occasionally but refuses to come on and stay on. I suspect a bad bulb, and will take them out and inspect them tomorrow.

I had not realized until it stopped working how much difference that light was making - it was impossible to make out enough detail to ensure that I was getting all the gunk off of the parts without the light, and this was just shy of 11am, plenty bright outside, just not in the shop. At this point I called it quits, and here I am writing all about it.

This thread is serving me a few purposes - one it gives me practice in writing up a work-in-progress type post, two it lets those of you with more experience see what I'm doing, spot thing sin my pictures that might be questionable, and chime in to give me advice - ALL advice is welcome. Third, it might bring back some nostalgia for some of you that haven't had the opportunity to open up a new machine like this in a while ;D

Comments, suggestions, advice and warnings are all welcome at any time.

- Ryan

Nice to see your shop, Ryan. Cleaning and oiling your machines will pay off over the long haul. Your better-halfs tooth brush is good to clean gear teeth. Just make sure you clean it real good when you put it back where she keeps it.

Kenny

Looks good from here Ryan....keep at it, you'll get done.

Dave

Looking good so far, I have the same job to do now that I have less projects to do. I will be watching along.
Brock

Even if not making chips yet, it sounds like you are having fun and enjoying the new toy!! Its certainly time well spent,,,and the bench looks good too!!

Bill

It's fun to occasionally glimpse the tip of someone's iceberg. New lathe, clean bench top, nothing hung on the walls yet. Man, is that gonna change...

-T

Got the makings of a great workshop there. Keep the photos coming. Just a suggestion but I would give the workbench a couple of thick coats of 2pack epoxy before you get grease/oil stains in the timber :bow:

A new Lathe, and a Girlfriend with a Scooter. What more could a guy ask for :)

well, except paint that wall white. will help a lot with lighting. :)

Alas, this is a rental, and I'm not allowed. it's actually the only finished wall in the garage.

- Ryan

Sorry about the terseness of the last post, SWMBO was getting antsy for something.

As I was saying, that's the only "finished" wall in my garage - and that's only because it's required for fire code - that wall shares the other side of the wall from the circuit breaker box in a room I have no access to.

After previous post I went out and took down the malfunctioning shop light. First, I pulled out the tubes to make sure there was no charring on the prongs - arcing on the prongs would make the sound I was hearing, and if they are wired in series, would also explain why they were flickering in unison.

No charring on the tubes was evident, so I took down the fixture, with SWMBO's help. popped the shield off of the backbone, to look at the starter, and there is no visible ballast on it, so i would have to replace the whole starter. darn. well, plug the tubes back in and plug it into the wall - maybe I can see or hear more precisely where the popping is coming from and narrow down the problem.

Lights right up.

Ok, so there's only two possible explanations here. One I can solve by simply running up an extension cord to the darned thing. The other would take a lot of problem solving.

1) I have the light plugged into a light socket. Since light sockets have no Ground and this is a three-prong plug, this means I am converting the light socket to a two-prong, then to a three by 'ignoring' ground. Either the ground prong not being utilized is a problem for this light, or there's an issue with the plugs I'm using to make the conversion.

2) There's a loose connection in the light that got jostled back into place when I took it down. THAT would not be fun/easy to track down.

- Going to hang it from the ceiling again and see what happens. if it goes out again, I will suspect it's something in the plugs or the lack of ground plug, and just run an extension cord to it from the one outlet on the wall. It shouldn't draw enough power to cause any sort of issue for the machinery on the other half of the outlet.

- Ryan, who gets annoyed when things go right and they're not supposed to.

well ray if yo are not allowed to paint the wall and it is a rental I suggest you get a back on that bench .
1) you can paint the back of the bench white to reflect light and knock down shadows.
2) you can mount stuff to the back or drill holes if you like
3) and maybe the most important machines sometimes sling oil from around the spindle I have a thin line on the wall behind the shaper and I have a plexiglass shield behind the lathe to protect the window. the minis are not to bad but the land lord would no like an oil stain on the sheet rock. An ounce of prevention could save a few pounds of security deposit.
IMHO if I were the land lord I would be happy to let tenants fix up and improve the place. Heck I to not think it unreasonable to buy the materials if the tenant wants to pitch in the labor to improve the space. it is a garage so what what if the craftsmanship is not great. but I also understand some folks would likely want the labor value deducted from the rent. and in a complex that could be expensive to the owner lack of cash income. But I am not a landlord sooo. ... good luck setting up shop.
Tin

Tin - thanks for the heads up, though this wall has already been hit with doses of spray paint and other questionables, so I'm not thoroughly worried about it.

Light reassembled, plugged into wall, works. hung from rafters, plugged into wall, works. plugged in to light socket, doesn't work.

Light socket, or plug adapters, are at fault here.

Light is now plugged into wall, cord hangs in the way a little but I can get a short extension cord to reroute it later.

Back to cleaning!

- Ryan

those fluor lights, yea what a pain :) some of mine work... luckily the main ones work, but others not so much. starters/ballast thingie quality I would imagine. $ka-ching$
all of mine are the older no-bama energy sucker-downers, lol. way older!

about the paint....and your rental deposit....

eventually you are going to get some lubricant spray off the lathe onto the wall...the kind that soaks in, and paint wont stick too... and ruin a bare wall , so a drop cloth is in order.
if you do paint, use an exterior high gloss, should be easier to clean.... should be... lol.

there are nails already in the wall above the workbench. i need to replace my shower curtain liner anyway. when i put the new one up, i'll wipe off the old one, and hang it as a backdrop. it should work out fine.

Rayanth said:
Alas, this is a rental, and I'm not allowed. it's actually the only finished wall in the garage.

- Ryan
Ryan if you go to your big box store in the bath area you will find sheet plastic used for showers and splashes. It comes in 4X8 sheets and is white in color. The name of the material slips my mind at the moment maybe melamine? not sure but I think it is less than a gallon of paint and you can take it with you when you move. It also cleans up with soap and water.
Most of all have fun !!!!!
Dave

Have been busy around the house and work and not had the chance to upload the few photos from this weekend's work cleaning the lathe. Here's my chance (don't tell SWMBO)

I left off having cleaned the leadscrew, but losing lighting. After lighting issue was solved (at least temporarily), I found I needed some more cleaning on the leadscrew as I'd missed a few spots. Or they just created themselves during the week. I'll go with that. Following that, some minore more disassembly and some of the nooks and crannies of the base were cleaned up, and I had a shiny clean lathe!

IMG_1300.jpg

I do still have to clean the chip tray, it's sitting in a spare bucket on the floor out of the way at the moment.

Unfortunately some of the red paint (not sure what the purpose of this is) rubbed off, or wasn't really there to begin with, along the side of the front way.

IMG_1301.jpg

I'll ignore this for now, unless someone tells me i cant' get a clean cut without this spot of red paint.

I do still need to attack the gears, they're kind of ugly. The jury is still out on what to do about these once they're clean - White Lithium Grease?

IMG_1303.jpg

Moving on to the removable parts, the tailstock was dismantled and cleaned up, however I did not touch the setscrew for side to side play. I am not sure if the tailstock is trued already but on the off chance it is, I did not want to end up having to mess with it from the get-go.

IMG_1304.jpg

Then the Compound or Carriage or Whatever-It's-Called-In-Your-Neck-of-the-Woods was nearly completely dismantled - I left the threading indicator gear in place, and the main drive gear, but everything else needed to come off to access the machined surfaces, which seems to be where they focused the majority of the "chicken fat" (cosmoline) There was a close call with a very tiny little nubby thing on top of the base that the tool post rests on, it stayed well put while I was cleaning everything, and then for some reason when I turned it over, that little thing clattered out. Startled the heck out of me, and I'm sure glad I didn't lose it - it appears to help get the toolpost lined up to 90 degree increments as it seats into a groove cut into the bottom of the toolpost. After some headscratching I got it put back in, in what I hope is the proper orientation (it seems to do its job anyway) (picture does not show its proper orientation)

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

I also had another close call when removing the cross-slide indicator, and it solved a mild curiosity at the same time:

IMG_1307.jpg

That itty bitty little bent piece of steel adds enough force to the dial that it will rotate when the shaft is turned, but not so much that the dial cannot be turned by hand, so you can reset it or set it or what have you.

As it stands right now, The compound-carriage-thingamajiggy is mostly reassembled, but was waiting on way oil for some of the moving stuff, and it now sits somewhat like this:

IMG_1309.jpg

Monday morning, bleary-eyed from a long night at work, I headed the hour north to Grizzly's showroom/warehouse in Bellingham, WA to pick up some of the things i didn't realize I would need when I bought the lathe. This trip's tally includes:

- 4pc center drill set
- mt2 quick release drill chuck (for tailstock)
- replaced the tube micrometer I had mistakenly gotten with the 4pc measuring tool set I should have gotten from the last trip (their mistake, they gave me something worth nearly three times what I paid for)
- vice jaw protectors so I won't mar up parts in the vise (magnetic with rubber pads)
- ... they were out of stock on vices, so that makes the above rather useless at the moment
- live center for tailstock
- southbend way oil for lathes
- 6" DeWalt bench grinder
- a couple of cutoff blanks (5/8", and since my lathe is supposedly 5/8" I am HOPING they fit and are the right height)
- an enormous wish-list

- Ryan, who probably has terminology and other stuff totally wrong, but he's a newbie so he feels entitled to do so.

New toys are fun. ;D

Hey Garry,

Nice reference....thanks for that!

Dave

Back