Newbie shop - 7x12 Grizzly mini-lathe cleanup

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely no top rake on brass. and run it fast...you really can't run brass or aluminum too fast.

As Tin and I have recommended, a honed polished tool will cut a polished surface.

You need to get yourself an oil stone. The ones used for sharpening knives will work fine.

Dave

Pleased to report that everything is now bolted down nice and sturdy. I'm ready to make chips ... in a year, when i have time away from school :(

Also nabbed a "shop-vac" - which is really just a homedepot branded vacuum motor that clamps on to a standard 5 gallon bucket, for $22. Not a bad price, if you ask me ;)

The list is getting smaller, though:

- Lathe currently has carriage removed, to get a pattern drawn onto the .020" aluminum sheet that will be used to make the gear guard (even from my little bit of goofing around there was some brass chips in the gears) (pattern is drawn, just need to cut it to size/shape and superglue it on or doublesided tape or something.)
- 4-jaw needs to be cleaned before use with the square stock
- lathe bit grinding needs to be learned better to get more consistent finish on the brass (and probably aluminum)
- Oilstone things are needed to assist with the previous item.
- plans need to be printed for the EZ so I don't need the laptop in the shop with a barely functional wifi signal to view them...
- Time needs to be found in order to do the above, as well as make room for classes, and still enjoy something of life. Going back to school at 32, with a full-time over-time job ought to prove interesting.

Thanks again everyone for the invaluable advice given thus far. Hopefully next weekend I can start a thread in Work In Progress.

- Ryan

- Edit : Also need to add a parting bit holder to the list. and might need smaller parting bits. seems that thin little piece of metal can't be held in a turret toolpost. Don't know if there's room for a holder that can hold a 5/16" parting tool ... and I'm not making another trip up to Grizzly, will have to find something online. Suggestions welcome.

Finally got the drill press from the colleague, haven't checked it to see how it runs yet. Didn't have a vise of course so I ordered one from LMS as well as a cutoff tool holder, a boring bar , and some boring bars. Didnt think to see if they had oilstones for honing bits, but I have several options nearby for that, harbor freight has a small nearby store, and there is a Grainger nearby as well. Plus home depot, Lowes, and ace hardware...Walmart with a decent sporting goods section....I'll find something.

This weekend should see more than some playing around, I hope...maybe a few roundish parts for an EZ ;D

- Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I love your setup, especially the bench. Can you email me more detailed pictures of where the legs are joined to the 2x4's on top and on bottom? I'm going to build a bench
just like that and I'm wondering how you joined the legs to the 2x4's and also how the cross support 2x4's are connected for the bottom shelf.

I just can't tell from the pictures if you are connecting the horizontal 2x4's on top directly to the 4x4 and if you are joining the 4x4 legs with something additional to the
2x4 that i can see in the picture. Because it looks like there is a set of screws going into the 2x4 in between the legs, making me think you have a 4x4 connecting the 4x4 legs
together, then put the 2x4 on the outside for look and extra support.

So any detail you can give on how the legs are joined to the table would be greatly appreciated to this newbie.

Thanks,
Brian

Latest posts

Back