Bazmak - Diary of an inside out Rotary Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As i said in a post in questions and answers,i was intriuged by this little engine
I have made a start with the easy bits and will post work in progress
If these old bones have the skill and i can obtain certain materials
I managed to print out working drawings and started with the frames
As i have said previously my milling skills are limited to a few months in 1963
I have never used a rotary table so made one as an excercise never thinking
it would get a lot of use.Now i cant manage without it.A few weeks ago i
would have marked out the frames,and cut the profile with my bandsaw and a file.Not any more, photos are self explanatory.Hopefully TBC Regards Barry

Great start Barry. You knew those bling holes were there for a reason and used them.
Gail in NM

I made the axle from 8mm s/s and the central bearing from brass
An A4 sized piece of 15 thk perspex arrived in the post,enough for 6 cylinders
so i decided to make the hard bit next.50 yrs ago i did a little machining
with perspex and as i recall with difficulty.When its cold it tends to crack
if you drill near the edge and if the drill etc gets hot the perspex welds to the tool and then cracks.All my worries were unfounded.Dont know if the composition of perspex has changed over the years but taking my time with care and WD40 as cutting fluid i had no problems at all.I assumed wrongly that it would be difficult to drill 12 dia holes x 30mm deep down the end of 15 thk perspex.No problems.I also made 6 pistons from 12 dia alum with brass bearing pins.Now i am waiting for delivery of the O rings and skate brgs from China to finish off.Tomorrow i am going out to see if ai can get a lunp of cast iron for the flywheel.Will definately need a compressed air supply to get this one to run.TBC

Sounds like you got lucky with your Perspex. I've always found it a real pig to drill. :mad:

Stepped drilled from 6 to 12mm in 1mm increments.Peck drill and clear chips
often. WD 40 works really well.You can tell when you get the screech sound
that the perspex is starting to bind and the wd 40 frees it all up.The perspex was around 14.5mm which left approx 1.25 mm wall each side of the 12mm hole.I was expecting problems but they didnt arrive.If you want any doing
send a drg and will do it for you.Hallet Cove no problem,Singapore bit iffy

Hi Herbie.Went to surman metals,by is that an aladins cave
CI $5 /kg,alum $10 ,Brass $16.They will ship for nom $10
I bought 2 slices of 5" dia cast iron and a lump of 4"dia for $30
Never seen 2ft dia alum before.Loads of offcuts

Reactions: gus
Almost there dont know why i worry.Lack of sef confidence is a big issue
I made the 5" dia cast iron ring gear.Again no problems but i had to make a couple of simple fixtures mainly because of the lathe limitations.Trial assembly OK with some minor tweeking and waiting for O rings and bearings to finish
Will definately need an air supply to get this baby running.Its a beautifully sized
and well balanced engine (apart from the eccentric no pun intended )
Can any one shed light why the toothed ring gear.Is it intended to drive something or was the specific gear an obvios item to use.Should i try and cut some teeth to suit like a toothed pulley.TBC

Great work Baz. The dearest thing about Surman metals is the trip out there :D

Would have to agree Herbie but i had to see what they had
Any future purchases will be by phone ,credit card and delivered
Mainly stuff i cant get local.Keep well. Regards barry

Latest posts

Back