BALL TURNER MYSTERIES UNVEILED!!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 1" diameter peice of aluminum, and I wanted a 1" diameter ball with a 1/2" diameter shank, about 3/16" long, so this was how I prepared the peice.
FINISHED001.jpg

Hot Damn!!! This thing works just like DividedHead said it would. I felt a little skitty, cutting while holding the handle in my hand instead of having the cutting tool locked in a toolpost, but it didn't try to get away from me or anything. Its not quite as easy as DividedHead makes it look in his video, but its not difficult either. I suppose that once a person has used it a few times, it would seem quite easy.
FINISHED002.jpg

FINISHED003.jpg

So---Here's the finished ball turner, with its newly made ball on the handle. Something I did learn, is that its nearly impossible to make the ball with an extended collar on it first, then try to figure out a way to chuck it to drill and tap the internal thread afterwords. I managed a "workaround" to do it, but the next time I will cut the stock to the length I want, drill and tap it first, then mount it on a threaded peice of stock to make the ball. I am very happy with the way it turned out. I will not be posting a video on it, as that is nicely handled by DividedHead. It is not a difficult tool to make, once you figure out all the parameters that dictate the dimensions used to build it. I hope you enjoyed the post---it gave me something to do for a couple of days anyways. now I have to seriously start beating the bushes and find an engineering contract.---Brian
FINISHED007.jpg

FINISHED006.jpg

That's a great project and very informative thread, Brian. Thanks for sharing.

Something I did learn, is that its nearly impossible to make the ball with an extended collar on it first, then try to figure out a way to chuck it to drill and tap the internal thread afterwords. I managed a "workaround" to do it, but the next time I will cut the stock to the length I want, drill and tap it first, then mount it on a threaded peice of stock to make the ball.

I've made up a couple of dedicated mandrels to do just that - 6 & 8 mm, which accommodate most of my needs - no doubt I'll add to 'em as the need arises.

Thanks Brian, you sure put rumors to rest about turning a ball, you have made it look so simple to build and to do, I think now I will have to live to be 800 years just to do your projects, hope work picks up for you but sure is good for us, thanks again, Lathe Nut

Brian
Now.... just to drive you a little crazy....LOL. Here is one of my favorite tools for ball turning. It cuts tangentially across the top of the work piece and from start to finish is about 5 minutes of cutting. It really doesn't need preparatory cutting, since it moves metal like a banshee. Mine needs to be fitted to my new tool post but I played with it a few minutes ago and yup... still one of my favs.

See one here.... http://members.optusnet.com.au/moreshedstuff/BallTurner.html

Steve

Cedge said:
Brian
Now.... just to drive you a little crazy....LOL. Here is one of my favorite tools for ball turning. It cuts tangentially across the top of the work piece and from start to finish is about 5 minutes of cutting. It really doesn't need preparatory cutting, since it moves metal like a banshee. Mine needs to be fitted to my new tool post but I played with it a few minutes ago and yup... still one of my favs.

See one here.... http://members.optusnet.com.au/moreshedstuff/BallTurner.html

Steve
I made one of those out of a boring head and boring-bar QCTP holder a while back. Works ok, but mine has a bit too much slop in it. Setting it up takes a little thinking about as well, but at least it drops onto the QCTP... ;) I'm not sure it'll do concave though.

I have one like that also no luck chatters bad for me and it seems there is a learning curve to that style for me anyway

wla421 said:
Hi all.

informative thread here!!

Is there a place that has a complete set of plans for making one of these?

I tried to download one at another place and got a "File Damaged" message.

George

If you read through this entire post, it has a complete set of plans I drew when I made the ball turner that is described in this post.?????????????---Brian

Great post Brian, many thanks. I've long been thinking of making one of these but been put off as my lathe didn't have any T slots either. Well done that man Thm:

Vic.

I completed my ball turner tonight and turned the first obligatory ball for the handle. Works great. Thanks for the inspiration.

Charlie

Time for me to revive this ancient thread!!! I haven't made a ball with it since the one shown in my last post, on the handle. Now I have to make a 1 1/2" dia. brass ball for my hit and miss engine "load device" that I am working on.

Back