Modifications to a Bedair style ball turner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
One of the first accessories I made for my 7x14 lathe was a Bedair style ball turner. I’ve since tried making a Boring Head based version, but the size of the setup is tight on my little lathe.
So, I’m back to improving my Bedair style. I have successfully turned many balls for handles with my version, but it gets wobbly and the pivot sholder bolt is difficult to get tightened enough to turn easily, but not wobble. I wish to add a ball bearing to my version. My question is, should I put the bearing in the top (rotating) part, or the bottom? I have room in either. Would a skate bearing be big enough, or should I go bigger?
If you have done this would you mind sharing pictures?
I will add pictures of mine in a bit, got to take some.
Chuck

Hi chuck, here's mine.

360b19d3748df2165f6e410c9f42da85_zps2df56d9b.jpg

The bearing is 42mm dia and 13mm thick and is a snug fit in the turret. A 15mm spigot with an 8mm thread cut into it was turned to be a tight fit in the inner race. Once the spigot was pressed into the bearing the whole assembly is secured to the plate with an M8 button head socket screw. The mounting plate is completely flat and the turret assembly is just clear of the plate to ensure it rotates easily.

Hope this helps.

Update: The bearing is an angular contact shielded type 42x15x13. The bearing is secured in the turret with a socket set screw.

IMGP2563_zpsb1f4c735.jpg

Last edited:
I used a bearing I had to hand and it seems to work well enough. The inner race is slightly thicker than the outer so the spigot effectively fixes the bearing to the base plate whilst keeping the outer race free to rotate with the turret.

Latest posts

Back