back to the apple butter mines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
Any idjit who still dreams of living "off the grid" with a steam powered gen-set set should have came to help us Wednesday... we'd have cured ya.

Sunday of Portersville's Fall show the Kewannee boiler in the boiler house sprung a leak in a tube (minor as far as problems go, but very inconvenient as it tends to try to put out the fire)

They had a half cooked batch of apple butter and 5 boxes of cut up apples left that needed processed. My father got this GREAT idea that Pap's half scale would be "easier" to hook up to do this than a full sized engine.... and he 'volunteered' Kim and I to fire it. We lit off at 8:30 on Wednesday morning.
541003_475064529192294_1880003102_n.jpg

Hooking it up WAS easy... KEEPING UP was another story. Between the 2 large kettles using about all the steam the boiler could evaporate, even with the blower on hard, and the "free" crap coal (somebody donated about 5 tons of black dirt to the club) we had to work with, Kim and I were busier than a couple of one armed paper hangers with hives. We went through 4 tanks of water (about 240 gallons), about 1/8 cord of hardwood scraps, and twelve 5 gallon buckets of coal... in 9+ hours.
536554_475064569192290_680720356_n.jpg

420926_475064612525619_995047152_n.jpg

The biggest problem was clinkers. I had to strip the fire 4 times to clear the grates (I did this in thirds so we didn't have to shut off the kettles, so basically I had to fish clinkers 12 times). at one point we were firing so hard that the hot gasses ignited in the smokebox. a little more overfire air cured that problem. However, my ears are still ringing from the blower roar for all those hours.

I got to break a few times about as long as it takes to go pee - otherwise I was firing, adding water, or breaking up slag. Kim was my waterboy and fuel scrounger. (Why would anybody want to do this 7 days a week just to save a few nickles from the power company? A gen set big enough to power a modern house uses a LOT more steam than 2 old kettles)

I don't know what the kettle crew did most of the time. Kim sez they mostly BSed... and complained about clinker stink every time I stripped the fire, We finally got to shut the steam off at 6PM
580296_475064649192282_1934174948_n.jpg

This is about half of what we made...
525979_475064685858945_1428810254_n.jpg

Do you sell the apple butter?

How much did you end up with?

They sell it for $4.50 pint or $8 quart this year - mostly because the price of apples nearly doubled (early thaw + late frost killed the blossoms).

Unfortunately shipping is probably a deal killer. However, if you're local Kim can meet you at the Old Stone House on Rte 8 at the showgrounds if you want to pick some up. Last I looked there were about 30 quarts left and 10 or so pints. I'm not sure how much they made altogether. 3 or 4 batches in that huge kettle. I know quite a few folks were mad becuase there wasn't any left by noon on Sunday after the Kewanee went down. They tried to take orders, but most folks declined.

They sell it for $4.50 pint or $8 quart this year - mostly because the price of apples nearly doubled (early thaw + late frost killed the blossoms).
I know Michigan was hit hard did not realize it was a wide spread problem.
a pint of AB in a plastic container (not canned) was $4.00 at the Kinzer R & T time of harvest show. Thought maybe GOLDEN delicious apples were used.
seems expensive but If i was the one buying apples cutting them up and making tubs of the stuff the perspective would be a bit different.
Tin

Unfortunately shipping is probably a deal killer. However, if you're local Kim can meet you at the Old Stone House on Rte 8 at the showgrounds if you want to pick some up. Last I looked there were about 30 quarts left and 10 or so pints. I'm not sure how much they made altogether. 3 or 4 batches in that huge kettle. I know quite a few folks were mad becuase there wasn't any left by noon on Sunday after the Kewanee went down. They tried to take orders, but most folks declined.

Unfortunately I'm all the way down here in Texas. I do appreciate the offer though.

We've shipped 2 and 3 quarts in large flat rate boxes before, but like I said, it ain't cheap

We have a local farmer's market I like buying from. Let me see what they have Saturday and if they don't have it I'll send you a pm.

Back