1.5"x 2" Stroke Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket Man

Reaction score
I built this 1.5" x 2" stroke steam about engine 25 years ago. It runs 500 rpms on 100 psi steam and will power a belt drive table saw 4 to 1 ratio to get 2000 rpms on the saw blade. Steam boiler holds 1/2 gallon of water. Steam reclaimer puts 110° F water back into the boiler with a pump & check valve. It will run all day recycling the same water. Boiler has a hot water heating element inside. I once had a 4.9 gallon wood fired steam boiler. I took the 24" fan blade off of a floor fan and put it on this steam engine it has no trouble turning that fan blade at 500 rpms. My rpm gauged shows 500 rpm with 100 psi steam. Today engine is running on compressed air. Engine is dirty it has been setting on the shelf for a long time.

P = psi = 100
L = stroke = .332 ft
A = area = 1.776
N = rpm = 500

100 x .333 x 1.766 x 500 / 33,000. = .891 HP

HOW do I upload a video.???

100_9495.JPG

100_9494.JPG

100_9493.JPG

100_9486.JPG

100_9484.JPG

Last edited:
NO option to edit an fix my typing error. 110° should be 210° F

I use to have a water pump & check valve to pump 210° water back into the boiler.

I unloaded the video to my Facebook but there is no longer an option to link FB videos to other places.

Photo bucket has changed I can't go there unless I pay $$$$$.

Last edited:
NO option to edit an fix my typing error. 110° should be 210° F

I use to have a water pump & check valve to pump 210° water back into the boiler.

I unloaded the video to my Facebook but there is no longer an option to link FB videos to other places.

Photo bucket has changed I can't go there unless I pay $$$$$.

Very interesting - - - like the engine!!!
Did you ever calculate steam use and thermal efficiency?

The web has become about how much money can be made from it.
Didn't use to be that way - - - - oh well.

Very interesting - - - like the engine!!!
Did you ever calculate steam use and thermal efficiency?

The web has become about how much money can be made from it.
Didn't use to be that way - - - - oh well.

No, I have never calculated steam or thermal efficiency.

My cooling tower will make 1 pint of water in 30 minutes with no cooling fan. Fan make cooling tower work better, bigger fan more air flow it cools faster.

Boiler is small 4" diameter 8" long and electric heater is 800 watts = 98.763 cubic inches of water. 15 years ago I use to know how many RPMs the engine would run for 1 hour to use up all the water. I once had it figured out just by running engine and testing it. I had a water pump once to put recycled water back into the boiler but no sight glass so I never knew for sure how much water was in boiler except for opening the valve on the side just enough to see water or steam come out. Sight glass scares me what if it breaks it probably needs safety check valves.

I uploaded video to Facebook but things changed 2 months ago there is no long an option to link video here.

I have Youtube account but forgot password 12 years ago & no option to make new password and if I try to make new account I get a message that says, I already have an account.

Last edited:
Very utilitarian looking, a working engine & power unit.
I like it too, thanks for showing it to us.

Very nice engine. Sounds like you can get significant work out of it! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back