axminster RF40 mill modification?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all ;D
I'm new to this forum but have been a member for a while as i needed a bit of info for a Jan Ridders vac engine i built as a college project last year.

i have recently bought myself an axminster RF40 milling/drilling machine for my home workshop (allong with a round head colchester student mk1 lathe), i did a bit of shopping around and this machene came up very cheap and is in near perfect condition. while Reading up on this machine i couldn't find any issues other people had had with it except for the round colum.

apparently if you have to raise the head to change tool you will lose your datum points on your work piece as the head moves about as you wind it up and down. this concerned me a Little but dint concern me enough not to buy. (i only had a small amount of money and could not afford a new machine let alone one with a dovetail colum, as this was less than half the price of a new round colum machine from axminster)

now this should not be a great problem for me but i read about people doing a modification to the colum to reduce or eliminate this movement? i couldn't find any info on precisely what is done apart from drilling and tapping the side of the colum.

i thought you guys would be the best to ask so any light you can shed on this for me would be greatly appreciated

many thanks,

Matt

hi
thanks for the replys
ill have a look at the links and see what ill come up with :D
ill maybe post a thread if im sucessfull to help others.

Latest posts

Back