anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris, That sound OK to me. I have extras of conrods and collets and have 12 flywheel blanks, although
1 or 2 may turn into setup pieces. I will be away from the shop till sunday but will try to check in.

Mike

I made extra parts so I don't mind doing both.

Chris I still need to send you the auction part that I forgot about.

Sorry to hear of Daniel's troubles.

I have 11 of each of my parts, and I think that sending a set to Daniel would be a very nice thing to do indeed.

Joe

chrispare said:
ok rather than haveing to make an extra piece we can use the auction parts for Mike (if that makes it easier)
That way we can still send tanner the parts

Is that a good Idea?

I do hope tanner recovers ok

Chris

I like the idea of sending Tanner the auction piece.
Again hope for his speedy recovery.

Pat

I'm ok with whatever is decided by everybody else and the team Captain.

I got started on making my parts. Here is the first batch of 5 crank case blanks after parting down most of the way and finishing the cut on the bandsaw.
I had to start from a round bar and machine it to hex as the local supplier did not have hex in stock and I didn't want to wait...
How many engines are being built anyways - I've lost track is it 10 or 11? I'll make my next batch 6 and hope I don't bugger one of them..

Mike

Segmenting-case.JPG

case-blanks-1st-batch.JPG

Nice to see a start on these parts Mike. I am of the understanding that we originally were making 10 motors with one of them being an auction item but with Daniel we have pretty much all decided that we will make an extra one for him so it now makes it 11. I could be wrong so maybe we can get some clarification from the rest of the group.

Hi Guys

with the exceptions of Mike Ross (need your address, Mike!) and Pascal (sent you a PM)
my parts went out in the mail this morning.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I sent a PM to Chris Pare with my address - I will PM you my address separately too - I just don't have any of your addresses yet - but then again I don't have any finished pieces to send out either so no worries there...

I did get a bit of time in the shop last night and "hexified" (I think I just made up that word) a second chunk of round bar so I can take down that setup on the mill and move on to actually machining features on the blanks.

Here's a picture of the setup I was using to mill the bar into hex - I am a total amateur so this is the way I cam up with given the tools I have available - constructive criticism welcome BTW. This was for roughing - I then finished up with the fly cutter.

Mike

roughing-round-to-hex.JPG

Mike R.

Nice start Thm: ... glad your posting pictures of your progress. Love those pictures. :)

No criticism here.

Are you following Stew's build?

Pat

sorry ive been buisy these last few days ill send all mikes address now.
Ok sent the list did you get it?

Mike your progress is great!

chris

Got the address list thanks Chirs.

Well I've probably scrapped one blank already but I'll use it as a setup piece for the required operations. I'll describe how I screwed up later ::)
Just means I'll be making another one for me later...

Mike

Stew,

I'm matching the pistons to the cylinders and was wondering how tight of
a fit should they be.

Maybe a slip fit where just a little pushing is enough or tighter.

Maybe a drop fit where no push is required ... just drops though.

Anyway maybe you could give me some idea what kind of a fit for this engine.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat

Maybe a slip fit where just a little pushing is enough

Thats just the fit you want

I've been following the build along you guys are doing a superb Job

And its real nice of you to put an engine together for Tanner, it will cheer him up no end and help get him over his illness.

Stew

Ok I was going to make another piece for Tanner but my machine is down again :(

So Hopefully noone has made the extra piece and well give him the auction motor (if thats ok)

Is everyone ok with that?

Also I have just recently started a new job that has stopped me from finishing my pieces,, I know we set the date for November and with the recent set backs I think we push that date to no longer than January (Mike if you need longer I understand)

What you'all think??

Chris

I've already mailed my parts to D Tanner..... perhaps remind me what part you're making:
I could no doubt whip up a one off for myself, and you can still send one to Dan that way.

Joe

Okay ... parts are all made and I'm ready to send them. woohoo1

Since I made 5 set of Cylinders, Liners, Pistons and Wrist Pins I will be sending those to:

Chris Qty 2 (one for him other for Auction or Tanner)
Mike Ross Qty 1 (to help for fitting to Crankcase)
Maverick Qty 1 (random selection).

and one for me. :)

Mike Ross PM me (and Chris) your address.

I expect that these will go out Monday. :)

Pat

When I get home to me computer I will send out a updated mailing list.

Joe I am doing the bearing block, I will see If I can make one on my little lathe ( I have never used it, it's a old unimat I picked up.
I will let you know if it works out.

Here is what I'm sending ... :)

TM6 0069.JPG

Each piston is matched to a cylinder as follows:

Using the picture above as a reference.

A set number (1-5) is on the liner at about 3 o'clock. All three cylinders in your set will have the same number.
The 3 pistons that belong to that set will have the same number on the inside skirt (the 20 degree cut).

There is a second number (1-3) on top of the cylinder at about 12 o'clock ...
the matching piston will have the same number on its top.

In a few cases I found that some pistons are interchangeable, but during machining they were
matched so I just followed through using that system.

This might help during your assembly. ;)

Later,

Pat

Latest posts

Back