Another EZ build.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toyman01

Reaction score
Having never built an engine from scratch, I figured I had better start with something EZ. The aluminum for the base hasn't come in yet so I started with the cylinder. I had some 3/4 square in stock. The only issue I had was reaming the bore. I guess I rushed it and scored the cylinder. I had to put it in the 4 jaw chuck on the lathe to clean it up. I ended up with a bore of .507.

That meant I couldn't use the 1/2 brass for the piston, but I had some 3/4 rod I turned down to the right size for the piston.

I also used this opportunity to to use some of the filing tips in the thread Dean started. I liked the finish draw filing gives so I think I will leave it like it is.

Of all the photos I took, this is the only one that came out good so here it is.

pistoncyl.jpg

Thanks to all the guys that came up with the design for this engine.

Looking good so far. I like the finish you got on the aluminum. Keep us updated so we can follow along. It is interesting that each one of these is a little different. It is nice that everyone puts their touches on it and make it their own.

Its ok to be oversize , I have done it many times!

Maybe you simply needed to hot it up a little?
Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Phil

You're off and running, Toyman. That's a good start, and it looks nice, too.
Boring the cylinder for an engine before the piston is made, as you have done, is almost always the best way to go. You can usually make the piston to fit easy enough, but it's not always so convenient the other way around.

I don't know how much experience you have with reaming, but here's something for next time;
Most chucking reamers want to be run at low rpm, with adequate lubrication, and never in reverse. Clean the reamer of any stray chips before you start, and if the hole is rather deep, and especially if it's a blind hole, clean it out before the flutes on the reamer get plugged. Start with a hole as close to the size of the reamer as possible while still being undersized enough for the reamer to clean up.
Usually, following that basic procedure will give a good result.

Dean

Great tips Dean! I'll add that to the documentation on the next up date.

My experience with reaming is exactly 0. I bought them a week ago. Since I bought a set of over/under reams, I had originally planed to ream to .499 and then to .501. I figured the .002 step would be small enough to eliminate the the chip problem. I grabbed the wrong reamer and started with the .501. I didn't realize the mistake until after I was done. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks for all the compliments. This will probably take a while. Between work and other extra curricular activities free time is at a premium. It will also be a learning process. Most of the things I have made on the lathe and mill have been for cars and not of critical size. On these small engines close isn't good enough.

I did pick up a couple of 4-40 taps and the screws for the project today. I was amazed to find 00-80 and up brass screws in stock at the hardware store.

chucketn said:
I'm gathering the tools and materials for my first E-Z build. Chuck in E. TN

Be sure to a start a thread for your build. Keep us updated. There are about 4 threads on building this engine in addition to the original design/build. So you should have plenty of reference info. If you run into any issues just ask questions.

Toyman01 said:
I did pick up a couple of 4-40 taps and the screws for the project today. I was amazed to find 00-80 and up brass screws in stock at the hardware store.

Since I haven't built anything yet and am waiting for enough $$$ for my lathe, I will live vicariously through your build. Post a lot cause I will be a captive audience.

What hardware store stocked those screws? A local or a national chain store?

Ed

Back