and a good day to you to sir!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atzerath

Reaction score
Hi all,
new member introductions aren't my favorite part of the interweb but here it goes...

i'm a noob...there, i said it...i know NOTHING about model engineering and never, ever before in my life have i used a lathe..
i've inherited and restored a unimat 3 and though i know it's a small one it's a lathe none the less...i'm restricted to smaller projects but i'm quite "young" (32) so perhaps in the future i'll be able to afford a lathe 1 size up...maybe even 2 sizes up... :)
What sparked my interest is:
- i've always been interested in mechanical projects and how they work.
- same goes for modellism...

Those combined...well, i was bound to end up here sooner or later :)
Now i'm off to the plans section to find simple starter projects in metric scale :)

Welcome to the forum, you will find plenty here to help you along your way. Don't worry about the size of your lathe, I chose to make engines on a smaller scale and enjoy it more than the bigger stuff. Bigger is not always better:D Working with smaller parts results in cheaper material and often cheaper tooling. The main thing is to cut metal and have fun.

Welcome Atzerath, this is a good place to start on a journey that can keep your interest and introduce you to new people and ideas for the rest of your life. I hope you enjoy it.

Jim

Do not sweat the intro. The purpose of the intro is for us to get perspective. All are welcome here who are willing to learn and show respect.

does not matter if you have experience or what size tools you have.
I have written a few threads to help folks get started so reading the sticky threads is a good place to start.
Welcome to HMEM
tin

Welcome Atzerath, Unimats may be small but they a top quality lathes, big enough to build plenty of model engines, and who knows, you might be a natural!
Stew.

Greetings! It sounds like you will be a natural.

My first lathe was smaller than yours. Then one day a full sized lathe fell in my lap. It happens.

Any thoughts on your first engine yet?

And g'day to you sir. Welcome to HMEM

Welcome wEc1 I started out not knowing anything about machining and I love it. You should enjoy it here and plenty of guys to help alone the way.

Don

Bigger is not always better:D
that's what she said... :rolleyes: (i could not NOT say it...would've gone against my nature)

I don't know if i'm a natural...time will tell...i understand squat about this stuff so honestly i don't know if i'll ever manage but i'll sure try untill i know for sure that i can't.. :D

my first project will be the EZ engine i found on the downloads page..simple project with metric scale to boost! excellent starter project imho :)
after that: the Tiny IC engine project that putputman made looks like quite the challenge :p

i'll have 'zounds of questions though and the problem is that though it seems i'm quite good at english there are specific terms that i don't know yet so the learning curve will be quite steep...
Should there be flemmish or dutch people here: do not hesitate to send me a PM :)

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you'll fit in fine!

Vic.

Latest posts

Back