An era comes to an end

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For all my life, I have had a passion about riding motorcycles. After a long layoff, a couple of years back I realised my dream of getting back on two wheels, so I purchased a 20 year old, flat 6, 1500cc touring bike in good condition, and spent a year reliving my youth. In the middle of last year, I decided to take the bike off the road and restore it to glamorous condition.

This is the bike as I bought it.

wing.jpg

It looks even better now as I have already replaced and added loads of shiny bits, and there is a lot more yet to fit, all imported from the US, where the bike was made.

Then a couple of months after taking it off the road, serious things happened to both my wife and myself. I am basically housebound now, except for when friends like Stew calls round and takes me visiting other members, and the wife can get me to the docs and back. Even driving a few miles is now too much for me.

It all boils down to, that over this last weekend, it has been decided that my motorcycling days are well and truly over, and the bike has to go.

A great big sobbing sigh.

But all is not lost, a new form of open air transport is on the cards. Just so that I can get out of the house and take Bandit for a walk. He must be bursting for a pee by now, because it must be about 6 months since I last took him out.

Not quite as fast as the other one, but at least it will keep me mobile.

buggy.jpg

One of the biggest and baddest of the range.

Twin speed selection, 4mph for legal pavement work or a super fast 8mph for on the road, fully road legal with independant suspension all round and a 30+ mile range, and can climb up a 4" kerb, a real off roader.

But that basket has got to go.

I am not after sympathy or anything like that, it is just that I want to say, grab what you can, when you can, you never know what is around the next corner, and your life can change dramatically in a very short space of time, but with a little bit of help and planning, life doesn't have to stop, you can still enjoy yourself.

All I will have to do is teach Bandit to ride on the running board until we get to where we want to go, burning rubber on the highway.

Blogs

For sale, my dream machine.

Good advice Blogs and though I am sorry the two wheel days are behind you, I can only admire your positive attitude and your enthusiasm for your new "wheels." No doubt it will be nice to get out again and Bandit will appreciate the relief too :)

Best,
Bill

Blogs,

Sounds like you are in a new chapter of your life.

Have you picked out a fairing and antennas for your new bike?

Just keep on keeping on.

What make and model of motor cycle do you have?

SAM

Hi Blogs, I have been a lifelong rider. It started with motor scooters and motor bikes when I was 14. After getting out of the military I bought my first real motorcycle, a Triumph Tiger Cub. Since then I've had quite a few. My wife and I still ride together and I ride off road with my son's but I know the day is coming that I'll have to put this love aside, I'm 65. You're absolutely correct, grab every bit of life you can while you are able.
Best of luck in the future.
George

Sam,

The bike is shown above, a Honda GL1500 Goldwing. I had even got it auto parking. Flip the bike into reverse gear, push down on the centre stand and it parked itself onto it's centre stand. When you want to leave, just climb on, start the engine and ride away, the stand auto retracts. A dream to ride, with aircon, full stereo, autocruise. The only thing missing was an ashtray, but that part was taken care of by the slipstream.
If you are on about the buggy that is coming, then this is it.

http://www.scootamart.com/mobility/...bility-scooters/cordoba-mobility-scooter.html

Bill,

Most times I have a very positive attitude, but sometimes real down in the dumps downers, but nothing like my wife has, she has been so positive over nearly the last year, it has saved her life in the last few months.

George,

The motorbike was bought so that both my wife and myself could relax in our coming golden years by touring our little Island, stopping when and where we wanted to. It looks like that will never happen now, but at least the dream was there for a little while.

Take every day as it comes, and if you open your eyes on a new day, you are onto a winner.

Thanks lads

Blogs

Keep at it Blogs. It is far better to adapt than to give up.
My eyesight has been failing for years. First to go was the full scale aircraft, then the motorcycle. Next will be my roadster, probably this coming year as I may not pass the driving license vision test. I only drive a limited amount any more. 600 miles this last year. Mostly a 5 mile round trip to the grocery store twice a week. I have already made a tentative selection on an electric bicycle as I live in a area where the grades are too much for a regular bike at my age.

In the shop, I have a big selection of vision aids so I can keep building toys. Range from simple loupes and magnifying hoods to home built video vision systems on some of the machine tools. Far better to adapt and quit. Takes me several times as long to build something as it used to, but it still gets done.

Best wishes on your future. You are not alone. Keep us posted with your experiences when you are able. We don't mind listening and your experiences will help others, just as your many excellent machining posts have.

Gail in NM

Blogs in this moment I wish to know english a bit better so to have the possibility to explain myself
unfortunately I know only some dozen of words and it is very difficult for me to speak seriously and not in a technical way

but I think to understand your feeling, and because here many persons are not so young and after having climb the hill of life they are now going down on the other side, well we all can understand and share your feeling

and you are giving us an admirable example on how to mantain trust in the future and to be brave and determined to face up to it

thank you, and sorry if I didn't explain well what I meant

Illigitigus Carborundun

No doubt misspelled and loosely translated, means "Don't let the bastards wear you down"
My hat is off to you Blogs for your courage in the face of adversity. A tribute to the human spirit that longs for the open road and is determined to return albeit in other ways. The Gold Wing is a fine ride although I much prefer the older and less refined HDs. I looked long and hard t both of these machines when I was a young man (actually I considered all of the bikes being produced at that time) and it came down to the Honda GW or the HD Superglide FXE. I debated and waffled back and forth for several weeks before deciding on the HD. I found that by being on it cruising down the highway I felt like I did not have a care in the world and as soon as I shut it off and dismounted, all of the BS that was going on in my life slowly began to filter back into my conscience. I sold it finally but I still have an itch once in a while for that feeling of freedom. That new scooter looks like a 'bad boy' but where are the cup holders? ;D Bandit will enjoy the rides as much as you will, keep the faith 'brother' and illigitigus carborundun

BC1
Jim

We didn't get a choice in the hand we were dealt. We just have to play the game with what we have. For most of us, throwing in the cards is not an option. We will play it out to the last card.

Many of us have learned much from your posts over the years and we hope you continue to pass on your knowledge.

Hi John

Keep the basket on it John and train Bandit to ride in it.

When are you going to trundle round for a visit, the first coffee free.

Enjoy your new wagon.

Stew

John,

Please keep your chin up and keep posting. I've learned more from you here than anything from school. We want to see the Halos finished. ;D

Best wishes.

Drop the goldwing lump into the skoot yeh haw................

John S.

Don't give him ideas

pimped-out-mobility-scooter.jpg

Stan said:
We didn't get a choice in the hand we were dealt. We just have to play the game with what we have. For most of us, throwing in the cards is not an option. We will play it out to the last card.

Many of us have learned much from your posts over the years and we hope you continue to pass on your knowledge.

Very true Stan and I share your sentiments...

I wanted to remember the younger days of my life when I had a motorcycle...So in 1996 I bought a 2nd hand Yamaha RD200 to rebuild as a project...I finished it and used it to ride to work on...least for a couple of years but then the arthritis started to affect me again and became so bad in my hands that I couldnt ride anymore...So it went up for sale and sold not long after...

Now I have to be content with driving around in the car or on worse days being driven by 'err indoors... (gawd forbid....)

Best of luck with the new chariot John :p

I have been riding and fiddling with mo'sickles since I was about 8, so it is in my blood. When you have loved them for so much of your life, it is very difficult to turn your back on them. But at least I have my mates who always need something doing on their classics, and it is a great sight watching them going round the track, brought back to life, well after they had been declared dead.

I think a few of you are under the impression I am giving up making things and posting about them.

Nothing could be further from the truth, you're stuck with me.

I am only losing some use of my legs, not the rest of me. If I can get to my shop, then I will get work done.

Oil in my veins and a sash weight on a string for a heart.

I am just trying to find the right oil at the moment, and then I will be back in business. The stuff I tried worked great for a bit, then failed miserably after about a weeks use.

Bogs

Onya Boggy - keep on keepin' on mate - it's the only way!

Thats the spirit John. You can only be put out to pasture if you em do it to you.

By the way hows the family?

Ron

Sorry to hear that the legs are giving you bother John, but you are very right to say that we all should make the most of what we have at the moment.

Blogwitch said:
Not quite as fast as the other one, but at least it will keep me mobile.

buggy.jpg

That's very similar to the one we got for my better half, very nice and comfy too. The only thing is that if you intend to make any trips in the dark or even the dimness of evening, you better bring a candle with you as the headlights are pretty woeful. I ended up modding up some high powered LED lamps and mounting them on the front, much better.

The other mod worth making is a horn upgrade, the horn on ours is pathetic and embarrassing, but as it runs on 24V an air-horn from a lorry would do the trick, or maybe a "dixey" horn ;D ;D

Hope you and yours are doing as well as poss'

Tim

Nice new wheels John!

I can imagine Bandit in that basket, warning people to
step aside, OR ELSE!

Same rules as riding a motorcycle.
Keep the shiny side up. ;)

Rick

Latest posts

Back