Aliminium grades

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesgsy

Reaction score
Hi
My v4 has come to a bit off aslow !
I'm finding it difficult to finde the grades off aliminium Jerry's plans suggests for pistons & con rods,in the uk
This being my first ic engine I don't know what grades will be ok for the job the plans are asking for 2024-t351 for the pistons and 7075- t6 for con rods,
Has anyone used 6061-t6 for rods & pistons?
And can anyone help with a uk supplier for the higher grades?
Thanks Les.

Les,
This guy ships worldwide. I've bought from him and it's good stuff. I know he's in the US, but if you get desperate

Cheers,
Phil

Hi
Has anyone used 6061-t6 for rods & pistons?
Thanks Les.

I use it all the time Les. I use bronze bushings between my rods and crankshaft. If the plans call for the rod to run right on the crank, stick with the other. When used for pistons I keep a .001 - .0015 smaller than the bore with no trouble.

I use it all the time Les. I use bronze bushings between my rods and crankshaft. If the plans call for the rod to run right on the crank, stick with the other. When used for pistons I keep a .001 - .0015 smaller than the bore with no trouble.
Yes phos bronze bushing small end & big end,
Thanks
Les.

http://mdmetric.com/tech/alumcomp.htm

You just need to know how to translate

Our 2024 is your 2L97/98

6061 is your H 20
7075 is your 2L95/96
Hope this helps.
These guys seem to carry what you need the question can you get small quantities.
may want to check them out.
http://www.aalco.co.uk/locations/
18 locations from Belfast to Southampton and a warehouse in Glasgow.

Tin

Tin

Hi
Thanks for all the help,
A uk supplier can supply me with H15 2014 in small amounts I think this is up to the job?
So I guess I'm sorted .
Thanks again
Les.

Les
HE15 for the pistons is OK, College Engineering Services stock it in most sizes I think.

Emgee

Latest posts

Back